| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | I've been reading everything I can on a 235 engine swap for the '46. I've located 2 engines, one from a '55 (for which the owner has the Powerglide) and one from a '60 (the '60 indicates it has "848" heads). Both engines had Powerglide transmissions. I understand that there will need to be modifications to the water pump, harmonic balancer and the starter, and possibly the motor mounts but will my manual transmission bolt up to either of these engines?
Thanks for any help, Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 244 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 244 | Your bell housing will bolt up to either of those engines. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | You will need a special diameter pilot bushing.
If your '46 will remain 6v, use a 6v flywheel and 6v 216/235 starter.
I might misunderstand your situation, and, I hope I am not incorrect with my suggestions.
Someone will correct/clarify/confirm, if appropriate.
Good luck
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | Thanks guys. Sounds like it won't be too much work then. Tim, I've been reading up on the 6v to 12v swap and may just leave everything 6v. I think I'll take a ride and look at the 2 engines later and see what I can do on the price.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I switched to 12v on one of my trucks - before I knew about 6v vs 12v battery cable differences
6v now works fine on all my trucks.
If I needed high-amperage 12v devices, I'd convert to 12v. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Im running a 1961 261 ci (same exact dimensions as your 235 block) in my '46 not a difficult swap. Just be sure to add the adaptor that allows you to keep the same type water pump saving you lots of fan clearance problems. 12 volt is very easy and will make life much easier down the road.
Also I'm running stock bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, starter etc and the 6 volt starter loves 12 volts.
Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 06/14/2018 6:19 PM.
| | |
| |
| |