I have a '46 (some say '47 1st Series, actually titled '47, made in March '47 at the Norwood, Ohio plant) Chevy 1 Ton Panel Truck, very very original in many ways, and I am rebuilding the engine since I have the entire front end body off the truck after a minor (!?) accident, a hit and run by someone.
I have repainted most of this challenging fisheye hammered beige interior, the dash, seat backs, door panels, etc., but I need to redo my original smooth brown steering column tube. On my steering column and its underdash bracket, that may be a carryover from the '30s, and maybe is 1939 interior gray/brown, or thunder gray. Where can I get a color chip on that, or what is the color name for the column and bracket? This is the only place in the truck I see this plain brown gloss color, or maybe it is the same as the whole rear interior of the panel truck from the seats back. Maybe due to age, but this rear interior paint seems to have a less glossy finish. What is that color called?
My interior cardboard kick panels, not very old I think, are a totally different dark brown, unlike my beige interior metal. Is that correct?
Inside my engine compartment, what is best to repaint the armored metal flexible cable that carries ignition wires to the coil? Under my dash, going to the key, this is sort of a bare, maybe cadmium plated steel, while it has rusted or corroded some out in the engine compartment.
Finally, maybe, what is original on when, during manufacturing, the engine was painted? If I paint some first, and then assemble, then the pretty edges of the new gaskets show, which I always thought was neat. But didn't they put the whole engine together and then paint it, gasket edges and all?
When I painted some a while back on the engine, my engine paint came from two suppliers, spray and brush, both claiming to be correct. A Chevy man said the lighter battleship gray is correct for what I want to look like a 1946 engine. Do you agree? What source is best? Brush, spray, or both.
Then, please comment on Zero Rust. Do they make it in a Chassis Black, to use for the final coat, or is it a primer only? Do NAPA or A#!%zone or some other locals carry it?
My truck was undercoated by the dealer when it was new, as I have been told by an original owner family member. So, after 50 years, that asphalt is sort of permanently dirty, but has worked, I guess, as it's nearly impossible to get off. So that aspect is "original", and they did it on the whole underside of the truck, on everything. But I have messed up some there in front as I have tried to remove some, so I have to restore that back with a little spray-on undercoat, I guess. Then I'll have to try to age it a little. What's the best spray-on?
Got it real clean now. Just want to do it right while I'm there. Of course I waited until near my deadline to ask you all for help.
Thanks for all your help, fellow 'bolters.