The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, BC59, homer52), 123 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,618
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1267942 06/03/2018 1:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Anyone using one of these on their valve cover? I’m giving it a try but the first time failed. Heaven know why GM thought 2 offset bolts that you can’t bear down on would be a good idea.

I’d like to hear if anyone has had success with one. Which to me is no leaks drips or weeps.

Thx Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Haven't had experience with the silicone gasket but......

Not sure which engine you have but have you tried the thick, I believe 5/16", thick gasket??? It works for lots of folks who may have a valve cover that is somewhat warped. I put one on my 261 engine and like it. I have heard of others using it with success.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
The 2 offset bolts is kind of a give away that my motor is a 216. My valve cover is flat and not warped. The cover has 3 different mating surfaces out of 4 around the edge. It’s terrible. The surfaces are thin. The only side that really has a chance I the lifter side.

Just sayin,

Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
My valve cover is a 216 with the silicone gasket. For gasket goop I used Permatex Aviation sealant liquid. This is thick brown stuff that goes on with a brush. The sealant was applied only between the gasket and the head. I have to think this is where the valve cover would leak. Also, this allows the valve cover to come on and off easily.

As far as I know the cover is not badly warped. I tried not to cinch the valve cover nuts too tightly. The bolts were tightened until some resistance was met. Then, each nut was tightened a quarter turn until the gasket no longer moved. I pushed the gasket with my thumb to check for movement.

I didn't notice any leaks, but that's not to say it's not leaking. I will take a closer look this morning.

This should be obvious, but the gasket I have only goes on one way. One side has notches for the head bolts, and one end has a notch for the thermostat housing.

Last edited by Stove; 06/03/2018 1:49 PM.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
Don, what caused you to get away from Right Stuff on your valve cove gasket? I've never used it and followed your post about it with interest.


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by moparguy
Don, what caused you to get away from Right Stuff on your valve cove gasket? I've never used it and followed your post about it with interest.

When I found a silicone gasket for the 216 rather than a cork one. The two offset bolts seem to not have enough force to press into the gasket before they start caving in. So I resealed it with RightStuff on the ends. Did a lot of driving today and everything is sealed and I’m off to a good start.

The no gasket RightStuff sealed really well until I desired to paint the engine and took it off

Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
I"m using a silicone gasket now got it online from ?????? they make airplane gasket , I wanted one for my new rebuild engine , Gotta check the lifters GAP often ? so I can now reuse the silicone gasket no leaks ?? on my 235


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by old55guy
I"m using a silicone gasket now got it online from ?????? they make airplane gasket , I wanted one for my new rebuild engine , Gotta check the lifters GAP often ? so I can now reuse the silicone gasket no leaks ?? on my 235

Right. The 235 doesn’t have the same cover or bolts. 235 is a piece of cake compared to the 216.

Don

Last edited by Don huffer; 06/04/2018 1:27 AM.

Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
"The 235 doesn’t have the same cover or bolts."

Depending on the year of the 235?

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by tclederman
"The 235 doesn’t have the same cover or bolts."

Depending on the year of the 235?

Well okay.

Don




Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by old55guy
I"m using a silicone gasket now got it online from ?????? they make airplane gasket , I wanted one for my new rebuild engine , Gotta check the lifters GAP often ? so I can now reuse the silicone gasket no leaks ?? on my 235

Which 235 do you have? The cover with 4 bolts or the old out dated pos with the 2 offset posts with good for nothing acorn nuts?

Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
4 bolts no leaks I like it


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
If you have some 3/32 or 1/8 aluminum and you can cut it with a saber saw, you can make some handy spreaders to make the 235 valve cover (4 bolts) have pressure all along the side. The way I did that was to cut 4 to match the inner area of the valve cover. These more or less butt up to each other in the middle and extend to the front and rear curves. Then bend them right at the holes, use slightly longer bolts to attach them, paint to match, press down and tighten the bolts. If they work as mine did, you should see a nice extra force all along the valve cover sides (and also of course the front and rear).
Jon


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Well Don, reading your signature line, I wonder if you are in the right place.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
Silicone gasket, 216, no leaks. Pics attached.

The fluid around the head bolts indicates to me a bigger problem than a valve cover gasket.
Attachments
Driver_Side_300k.jpg (40.83 KB, 122 downloads)
Passenger_Side_300k.jpg (35.95 KB, 120 downloads)

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by Jon G
If you have some 3/32 or 1/8 aluminum and you can cut it with a saber saw, you can make some handy spreaders to make the 235 valve cover (4 bolts) have pressure all along the side. The way I did that was to cut 4 to match the inner area of the valve cover. These more or less butt up to each other in the middle and extend to the front and rear curves. Then bend them right at the holes, use slightly longer bolts to attach them, paint to match, press down and tighten the bolts. If they work as mine did, you should see a nice extra force all along the valve cover sides (and also of course the front and rear).
Jon

Jon my cover doesn’t have 4 bolts around the edge.
Thx anyway


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Well Don, reading your signature line, I wonder if you are in the right place.

I prefer Advanced Design.

Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 135
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 135
There are plenty of shady day ways of fixing the problem (some of them might actually work), but basic mechanical practices work out the best in the long run. If you continually listen to people with 235s and every other engine except the 216, you may never get it to stop leaking. You already rejected my advice on the last thread, so maybe someone else with a 216 will step up with better info that you do like. I don't have a problem with mine leaking from the cover. Silicone gasket, 216, No leaks. You do have to keep in mind that the cover needs to come off, and on again for periodical valve adjustments.


1961 ford f500
1953 3100 five window (https://www.facebook.com/1953-Chevrolet-5-window-1533405913413610/)
1955-2 3200 big window (https://www.facebook.com/Leep3200/)
55yrs as a mechanic and retired. (kind of)
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
Put my 216, two bolt valve cover gasket solution in the "It works for me, no promises for anyone else" category.. Clean valve cover gasket area on head with acetone. Apply coat of KW Coppercoat gasket adhesive where the new gasket will set on the head, place new cork gasket on head. Then apply a layer of Vaseline on the cork gasket and finally apply a bead of you choice silicon gasket maker on the valve cover. Assemble and let it all dry.

No leaks and when it's time to run the valves the cork gasket stays on the head, it's not stuck to the valve cover and can be reused many times.


Again, works for me. Been doing similar for several decades however only recently have I done this on the old truck.


Good Luck,

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; 06/04/2018 7:46 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
I have a 235 with the 2 acorn nuts and am using a silicone gasket. No obvious leaks and I still have to straighten the valve cover flanges a little.


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by moparguy
Put my 216, two bolt valve cover gasket solution in the "It works for me, no promises for anyone else" category.. Clean valve cover gasket area on head with acetone. Apply coat of KW Coppercoat gasket adhesive where the new gasket will set on the head, place new cork gasket on head. Then apply a layer of Vaseline on the cork gasket and finally apply a bead of you choice silicon gasket maker on the valve cover. Assemble and let it all dry.

No leaks and when it's time to run the valves the cork gasket stays on the head, it's not stuck to the valve cover and can be reused many times.


Again, works for me. Been doing similar for several decades however only recently have I done this on the old truck.


Good Luck,

RonR

Great reply and I wouldn’t doubt for a minute your method works.
Thanks, Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by Lindsey
I have a 235 with the 2 acorn nuts and am using a silicone gasket. No obvious leaks and I still have to straighten the valve cover flanges a little.

My gasket is orange and made by Real Gaskets Tenn. it might be a little to hard for my acorn nuts to press a seal on. It’s the cut type.

Thanks for you input, Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55


My gasket is orange and made by Real Gaskets Tenn. it might be a little to hard for my acorn nuts to press a seal on. It’s the cut type.

Thanks for you input, Don
[/quote]

That"s the gasket I have also ,, Works great !


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0