The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Phak1, 1955 1 Series, Gib70, Joe H, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,451
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
I am putting together a set of original 6.00 X 16, 6 lug wheels for my 51 Chevy 1/2 ton.
I have 2 decent original wheels that have the 4-1/2 " inside width and 3 original wheels that have a 4" inside width.
The tires are 6 ply original type tires with a 4-7/16" tread width
The 4-1/2" inside wheel width are per the original specs.
My question is will the wheels with the 4" inside width work per axle or should I continue to search for more wheels with the 4-1/2" inside width?
Thanks!!


Mike
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton w/ 1959 235
1971 Chevelle
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I’d look for four matching wheels.

However the real answer is what acceptable wheel widths are specified by the tire manufacturer for the tire you plan to use. If both are acceptable then you could us both, keeping a matched pair front and back.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
Thanks for the good advice Grigg
As you suggested I just researched the tire maker specified wheel widths, which are 4" to 4-1/2" so I am compliant to use both but I may hunt for the elusive 2 wheels with the 4-1/2" widths.
Thanks again!


Mike
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton w/ 1959 235
1971 Chevelle
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
After spending a fortune on blasting, epoxy priming and painting the rims for my pretty boy AD, I noticed that one of my rims was 4 inches and the other three were 4 1/2 inches. I went with the oddball anyway. I am running tubeless radials and have 1800 miles on them without any trouble at all.
There is no noticeable difference in appearance either.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0