Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,306 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 | Ok fellas, I got the cab and engine home finally and the engine that was guessed to have been rebuilt, was not. when I opened it up I found the cam to be pitted, so I went further and pulled the lifters and push rods ( that have springs and keepers on the bottom) and found the solid lifters to be very worn and pitted.. So now I was wondering if a later model cam and lifters can be put in? Or, I'm thinking that a replacement engine of the correct length (235 - 261) is what I want.. the problem is finding one around here.. the p/u is a 37 and has great sheet metal that I don't want to cut up.. your thoughts please... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | A stock '37 has a 216 but has a different style clutch, bell housing, clutch fork (with different spacing of the fork ball), and stomp starter linkage and spacing of the starter pedal, than the '41 and later 216s. So, if you want to stay stock it may be easier to rebuild your current engine. If you are going resto-mod then maybe better to find a 235 and redesign for the above items. I don't know whether later 216 cam and lifters can be dropped into your 37 engine but that should be investigated. Kent | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 | EGGE Machine has an engine kit for your 1937 . https://egge.com/kit/cv216m37-39/George '54 3600 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 | | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Are you telling him to spend $1800 plus shipping plus everything else needed to rebuild his 216? (The total on the EGGE page is about $1800) Maybe he does not need all that. Just curious what parts are being suggested. This question comes from someone who would restomod it. I would recommend getting away from the 216 at the least. SBC would be nice.
They used a 4 x 4 S-10 pickup rear end. This is from an article by Jim Carter about a 36. 37 is only 3/4" per side wider, tire center to tire center.
The S-10 differential matches the original 6 bolt wheel pattern and the distance between the rear wheels is just right for a 1936 ½ ton. Moved the axle saddles slightly to the side and the original 1 ¾ wide rear leaf springs connected perfectly!
Find the rear end and you are in business for a restomod. More details if interested. Plenty of info online.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | "EGGE Machine has an engine kit for your 1937 .
https://egge.com/kit/cv216m37-39/"
Beware of Egge Machine.
When they had my 1936 Chevy block for some machine work they left it out in the rain for several days after boring the cylinders. The results were not pretty. While I was there I saw a reground camshaft in a box labelled Tomadeur Engine Company with a $49 price marked (this was a while ago). So I went directly to Tomadeur with 2 '36 Chevy camshaft cores. There the shop foreman picked out the better of the 2 and reground it while I waited. The whole process took about 10 minutes and as I recall he charged me $10. Tomadeur had the correct master and the whole process is automated.
Ray
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 | following this thread I found DELTA CAMSHAFT in Tacoma Wa. (800-562-5500) they will regrind my old cam to a 3/4 type for $56. and surface the lifters for $2.50 each.. what a deal..Beav | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Beware, S-10 pickup 4wd rear axles are 2" wider than 2wd axles.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | any small journal cam you get will be a regrind, there are two foundries that make blanks, and they haven't made any small journal in years. The son of the founder of Howards cams says they won't even talk to him about this. That may have changed since I called about 3 years ago. But probably not.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Any cam regrinder worthy of the name can turn a large journal cam into a small journal- - - -just reduce the size of the cam bearing areas. I can even do that on a lathe with a carbide tool bit and a tool post grinder. That also gives a cam grinder a lot more options on the profile of the lobes, timing and lift wise. HMMMMM- - - -how about running a 216 with a brand new "Corvette" grind camshaft? The possibilities are endless! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | if you have any lift at all, you have to get the cam reground. the lobes wont' fit through the second to last hole, tried that already.The guy at howard cams said he would take a little more off the back to make more clearance, but the guy that ground the cam, wasn't the guy I talked to... I was thinking more along the lines of boring the cam bearing bores to fit the large journal cam. Then you would really have some metal to play with. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | To the original poster . If you are still considering changing cams , please be aware the 216 has a forged cam and later replacements are cast . This means the distributor drive gear has to match the material requirements of the particular cam you choose to use .
I think , if your cam and lifters are able to be cleaned up by an engine shop , that will be the easiest choice. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 25 | I'v decided to go with my original cam reground by DELTA CAMSHAFT I know it will fit and they are going to put a little more lift and duration on it.. and the price is cheap..$56 | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Regrinds are fine- - - -they've been used for longer than the 72 years I've been around, but be aware that you'll have to turn the rocker arm adjusting screws in a little deeper to get the right valve clearance because the base circle of the lobe is smaller. I've actually seen engines running reground cams with the adjuster screw lock nuts installed on the underside of the rocker arms so the screw can be turned in deep enough to get a good valve adjustment. There's nothing wrong with doing that- - - -it just looks a little oddball! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |