The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Youngin' Tut 59, PAUL Berardi), 143 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,166
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Let’s start by admitting that what I don’t know about paint would easily fill the bucket.

I’m trying to determine how I will get my truck painted. It is not a show truck; it will be an every day driver. I’m a little leery about taking it to some of the local shops as they may not want to paint over my body work that could be described as not perfect. I’m considering doing the job my self, but do not have the tools or facility. I have friends with compressors that are most likely large enough and paint spray guns are readily available at all of the big box stores. I could build a temporary 2X4 and clear plastic tent in the driveway.

But what is to know about the paint? What kind should I use? Are some types easer for the amateur than others? How many coats? How much will I need? What makes the paint hard especially if I do not have large banks of heat lamps.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Kip's41,

One amateur to another! If you did the bodywork and the quality is questionable, then a professional bodyshop might not want to stand behind their paint job! I had one of those $39.95 paints jobs years ago and it was excellent, shiny and durable....is something like that still available..they take the bodywork 'as-is'.

Paint types run the gamut from tractor enamel to base coat/clear coat finishes. When you get into a true automotive finish, the prices will make your hair stand on end. Most of these systems are 2-part...the paint and a catalyst. They dry by chemical reaction, no heat needed.

The base coat/clear coat process involves a base coat of the desired color covered by a clear coat that protects it and gives it depth and a high gloss. All these 2K, or two part finishes dry quickly and you can sand the runs and bugs out in a day or so.

Unless you are really looking forward to doing the paint job yourself, I think I would have a friend or someone from a bodyshop do a weekend deal for $$$ under the table. You won't get the satisfaction of painting it yourself, but I think the results will be better, and you won't have to fret over fumes, thinners, prewashes, moon suits, respirators, hazardous waste etc.

Stuart

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
From another amature: If you willing to accept "not perfect" body work, you can probably do the paint yourself to the same quality level as your body work. I'm basically in the same boat and I've been able to do a decent job with entry level equipment using acrylic enamel. If you catch some decent weather you can paint outside without a booth. You will need a respirator of some type though. For me, the satisfaction of doing it myself offsets the less than perfect results. Have fun with it.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
Also, solid colors will be the easyest to spray and match. You can do one fender at a time and still get a pretty good match when its all together. The fancy paints take a lot of work to get the spray pattern even and looking good. I used a dark green metalic and it looked like a green zebra when I was done. $1000 later and some refinements to the spray pattern and my method of spraying, it looks pretty good.

Joe

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
can always take it macco and get the 399 panit job.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
I echo the other posts. I have a 15 dollar HF paint gun, and have done all my painting in the driveway. You can do a good job without a 600 dollar paint gun. And before all the pros jump on me, you can get a decent paint job with a cheap gun. Is a more expensive gun better? probably, if you do production painting, and even doing a little painting at home. You can argue pressure, atomatizon, and paint globule size in relation to air speed all you want. Fact is if you can use a rattle can paint and get a good job you can get a decent paint job from a cheap gun. Pick a nice day, with a light breeze, medium humidity. Mix the paint according to directions and go for it. Don't do Macco. If you pay someone to paint your truck, save your money and get a good paint job.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
take it to one of those 200 . dollar paint job places they will paint a big truck and dont care about your body work before you take it get some wet dry paper and a bucket of hot soapy water go over the truck like you are washing it real good then have them paint it you wont believe how good a 400. job will look and it will be better then you could do if youve never painted before i did that with a ford van gloss black all my friends said it was a 2000. dollar paint job

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
ThankX for all of the help here.

I will start talking to the $400 places and find out what they can do. I'd like to do a to-tone and paint it while it is all apart. And I’ll look closer into entry level equipment to do it my self before making my decision. Looks like it will be a spring 08 job at this point.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11
Kip's 41
I will be in your shoes directly.Here are my solutions in decending order.
Enroll in a night class at the local college, they have everything you need plus the expertise. Or hire the best student painter not quite ready to graduate. $250.00 probably looks like a lot of money to them.
Hire a very senior expert. Set him in his rocker
or wheelchair, keep him in beer, and he'll probably to happy to make sure you're doing everything the right way, especially for a few extra bucks. Bob

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Joe H, what do you mean by "solid color".


~Jim
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
Here is what I would do: I would remove everything that I didn't want painted. I would do what prep I could. Sanding, body work, masking and such. Then I would take it to a body shop and as the owner if he would shoot the paint on it. He would probably spray it for $200.00


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Kip's41:

I just finished reading a book entitled, How To Paint Your Car On A Budget, by Pat Ganahl, published in 2006. The book is available from:

CarTech
39966 Grand Avenue
North Branch, MN 55056
651-277-1200 (office)
800-551-4654 (toll free)
651-277-1203 (fax)
www.cartechbooks.com (website)

I do not intend to self-perform any paint jobs on my trucks, however I found this book very informative and would use it as a desk-top reference, if I were going to do a paint job.

I hope this book is as helpful and informative to you as it was for me.

Tony

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
If the body work isnot perfect paint it a white or other light color as these tend to hide your sin,s....doc


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0