The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (wilbur53, KEVINSKI, Wayne67vert, Lostbuthaulinass, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, tclederman, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1261398 04/03/2018 8:36 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
'53 235 Full Pressure,

Fresh overhaul, approx 1 hr. on engine,
Truck has a "216 splasher" Oil Pressure gauge 0-15-30 psi.

First few engine runs, Oil press was most always at 30psi.
I've run it a couple of times more (in the garage) and driven it once (2 miles) to get gas.

Now (idling) oil pressure is +/- 16-17,
when I bring up the RPM, pressure will go to 30,
if I back off the RPM, pressure drops back down.

Oil quantity's full,
New filter,
water temp stays around 180.
Oil ozzes out of holes on top of rockers when idling when pressure was at 30 (should it be more?)
Pump is a Melling M-29 (new)

Any suggestions, How do I trouble-shoot this?
Jim



Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
That seems about right to me. Other more experienced minds will probably be along soon and offer advice.


Professional Novice
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I have two trucks with "splasher" oil gauge and later high pressure 235s. They both do the same thing and I would say it is normal. No doubt, with higher rpms you are pinning the oil gauge at 30 and the actual pressure is higher. Of course, we are assuming your gauge is accurate as the real pressures could be higher or lower.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I'd suggest tapping into the side of the block temporarily with a gauge you know to be accurate, possibly one with a 0-50 PSI range or so. Factory original gauges have a tendency to be extremely inaccurate at times. Since "idiot light" switches had a turn-on pressure of 7 PSI, a lot of engines without a gauge that had a pretty severe pressure drop at idle never let it be known. As long as the pressure comes up off-idle, you probably don't have a problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
I have the exact same setup. '53 full pressure engine and a 30# gauge. 10,000 miles since total professional rebuild. The needle stays pegged on 30# until it is thoroughly warmed up. Once it is warmed up it drops to 15-16 at idle. I keep the idle at around 450 RPM. At 600 RPM, it pegs the 30# gauge.
You are fine. Nothing to troubleshoot whatsoever. 15 PSI is twice as much as you need at idle. Oil oozing at the rocker arms at idle verifies this.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
I thought I had an (oil pressure) issue,

Thanks for all the great responses.
Jim

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
I swear mine never drops below 30, but maybe I'm losing my mind.... I'll confirm next time we run the engine.


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
56 235 engine in my 53, running mechanical lifters with stock oil pressure gauge. At speed it pegs the needle at 30psi. Warmed up at idle about 10psi.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by Lindsey
I swear mine never drops below 30, but maybe I'm losing my mind.... I'll confirm next time we run the engine.
What is your RPM at idle? What weight oil are you using? You live too close to the Arctic Circle to count. smile
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
I just wanted to add another confirmation . The 235 in my '37 pegs at 30 till it warms up then is about 15 at idle. Very old engine.

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by 52Carl
What is your RPM at idle? What weight oil are you using? You live too close to the Arctic Circle to count. smile
Carl

1) Low according to my ears, 2) unknown, but likely 15W40 and 3) pfft.


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by Lindsey
1) Low according to my ears, 2) unknown, but likely 15W40 and 3) pfft.
"pfft"? Since I don't speak Canadian, I do not know what that means. I have a feeling that I probably don't want to know. smile
My Arctic Circle reference was intended to illustrate that colder ambient temperature will have an affect on oil viscosity, resulting in higher oil pressure than what can be expected in a warmer climate.
Carl
Socially awkward Yank.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
pfft

exclamation (probably meaning #1 or #3)?

1. used to represent a brief sound such as that made by the passage of a bullet or that of a small, muffled explosion.
"Pfft! Pfft! Pfft! Bullets ricocheted around the room"
2. used to convey the suddenness of a malfunction, disappearance, ending, etc.
"then pffft, that was the last we heard of them"
3. used to express a contemptuous or dismissive attitude.
"pfft, I don't know what all the fuss is about"

(from Google dictionary - presumably similar meaning in Canadianese?)

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by tclederman
pfft

exclamation (probably meaning #1 or #3)?

1. used to represent a brief sound such as that made by the passage of a bullet or that of a small, muffled explosion.
"Pfft! Pfft! Pfft! Bullets ricocheted around the room"
2. used to convey the suddenness of a malfunction, disappearance, ending, etc.
"then pffft, that was the last we heard of them"
3. used to express a contemptuous or dismissive attitude.
"pfft, I don't know what all the fuss is about"

(from Google dictionary - presumably similar meaning in Canadianese?)

Haha, nice work! I would say number 3 is accurate...


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0