I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer. I have heard that the GMC coes ('47-'53) are slightly wider than the Chevys from the same time period. I am asking because I have an empty 1950 Chevy coe chassis (just a roller, no engine, no transmission) and have found a GMC coe cab with engine and transmission with no chassis (it has been cut off just behind the cab - see photo). I was wondering if it will fit on my chassis with no major issues. Also the current owner of the cab had cut the steering shaft in two with a torch. I was wondering if that part is easy to find or fabricate. Thanks, -Scott
Hy GarlandFarms, Spanky is our resident C.O.E. expert, but I think that that cabover body should mount on you Chevrolet Chassis. The GMC engine is a bit longer than the Chevy and would normally take a different front cross member (which you would have if you bought that GMC body/frame piece. If you could post the serial number or at least the series that would give us more information. Any pieces that might be different between Chev and GMC for mounting the body on your chassis would be on the frame piece that you would get with the GMC body, hope that helps.
The 47-54 GMC 450 series 3 ton, and 470 series 3 1/2 ton COE's have larger, wider fenders, and steps, because of the larger, wider front, and rear axles, they use. The 47-54 350 series 2 ton GMC COE's are the same as the Chevy COE's. The one you have pictured above is a 350 series 2 ton GMC COE, so it will be the same.
Last edited by spanky; 04/06/20182:51 AM.
Spanky Hardy Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers
The picture on the left, is of a Medium Duty 53 Chevy COE, and the picture on the right, is of a Heavy Duty 52 GMC COE. I'm showing the difference in the fender, and step width, and height, of the two.
Spanky Hardy Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers
I failed to recognize the two different cabs in your first post, Spanky I did not study them enough. Sorry
By the way Spanky, if you have a COE with a full-height stake bed (or full-width/height front/forward boards on the bed) or a box behind the cab, are the rear side-windows of any value/usefulness (you might not be able to see by/through the bed back/sides or box)?
The rear side-windows would not have been of any use on my COE (that had a large "cut-out" in the "stacked" side-to-side "head-boards" at the front of the bed - for rear-window viewing behind the truck).
Tim, The first advertising I ever saw on 5 window cab GM trucks, was a Road Tractor backing up to a trailer, and it also mentioned being good for trucks equipped with Wreckers.
Spanky Hardy Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers