The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MaxStewart, dunfire), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
What are the do's and don't's. Wrap in something? What will not scratch/imprint them? No cover? I don't have a garage. Parts coming from painter periodically. Single Stage white.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I can't tell you how long it takes but covering with plastic too soon will cause issues with the paint. I messed up one piece that way. After that I moved them into the house under/around the pool table. Plus that kept them out of the way until I was ready for assembly.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I do have a room with a "bumper" pool table.....and out of the way. smile


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
When I painted my truck I did it one piece at a time. I purchased a few furniture moving blankets to keep the parts protected and separated. It worked fine for me and I have found many uses for those blankets since then. They can be had for about $9 each. Here is a typical source https://www.harborfreight.com/72-inch-x-80-inch-movers-blanket-66537.html

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Paint needs to breath once applied. Depending on which paint manufacturer it can take up to 90 days for the paint to fully cure catalyze. I would avoid covering for a few weeks and then if you need to cover I used the moving pads mentioned above. Those moving pads are also great to use during reassembly.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I am afraid to let anything touch the panels now. My brain says that's safer. I am looking for a place or places to store indoors with no cover. Dust will settle on them however.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Agreed - no tight wrap

Agreed #1 - if you have space - no cover

Agreed #2 - loose moving blankets

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Let the paint set up for at least 30 days. Drape DRY light cotton flannel blankets or bed sheets over the parts just to keep the dust off. After 30 days I wrapped the painted parts in light cotton flannel blankets or bed sheets and secured the cotton flannel with packing tape. Use the packing tape sparingly, just to wrap around the flannel to hold it. The cotton flannel breathes and will not scratch the part as easily as packing blankets.


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
What are you worried about? If you scratch that latex acrylic wall paint you used, just open that 5 gallon bucket and touch it up with the same floor mop you used to paint the parts to begin with.
(Just messin' with the land baron Arizona rancher.)


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Dear 52Troll: I use a Wagner Power Painter when I want a nice job. The mop is for the primer.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
This thread hits home really badly. Just last year, I was painting like a mad man in my detached shop. The chassis was in the garage attached to the house. The cab was on the dolly under the carport and all the painted fenders,grill bumpers, interior trim, seat frame, tailgate bedsides and front panel,wheels came into the house in the recroom. More of the truck was in there than not for many months. I went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of those 5 by 7 moving blankets for the parts to sit on. I didn't wrap or cover anything. I used single stage urethane with a hardner, so after a day or so, you really couldn't smell any off gasing. We had some really nice weather for about 90 days straight and once painted, it sat out in the sun for about a week minimum, before coming in.
Attachments
IMG_0713.jpg (70.96 KB, 43 downloads)

Last edited by sstock; 02/23/2018 3:57 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0