The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
I'm working on getting my heater working in the '55 Grumman. It's never been connected since I've owned the truck, and the tag on the heater box says "6V", so I've been reluctant to diagnose it. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I tore it down to see the motor (2.3 amp) was a fairly new 12V, and the heater core was nearly new.

Now to wire it. I have a period type heater switch that I would like to use. It has the light in the switch that comes on when power flows through it. The only markings on it I can locate are "ARK-L". It has two spades in the back; one for motor and the other for power, with a resister.

So, can I use this for my 12V heater? How can I tell if it is a 6V switch, or does it matter?
Thanks for your help.


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,364
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,364
The switch doesn't care if it's 6 or 12 volt. The indicator light however does. If it's a 6 volt light, it likely won't last long on 12 volts (but it may). One test would be to hook it up to 6 volts and see if it lights up sufficiently to see in daylight, if so it's likely a 6v light .


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The only variation between the 6 volt & 12 volt switch will be the resister. I would try it & watch the resister to see if it gets too hot. The original Grumman had a 2 speed motor. If it has a ground plus 2 more wires, it probably is a 2 speed motor. You would not need a resister. I have used ign. resisters for heater motors.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Thanks guys.
I was going to try to find an LED 12v bulb to put in it. You know what happens to those kind of switches over time.....the heat from the bulb melts the plastic knob.
The fan motor only has two wires: power and ground. The switch is three position: off, low, and hi. I don't know if the switch will control the speed of the fan motor or not. Probably doesn't matter anyway, as long as it supplies current to the motor. If I need heat, I can't imagine I will want to be turning it on "low" because it gets so hot in there smile
I'll hook it up and see what happens.
Thanks again.


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
These guys are a great source fo r electrical components. I use them a lot. Saves money too. Del City


"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Thanks Robert. I've seen Del City be recommend. The last time it was for quality wire at a good price. I think I've got them bookmarked.


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0