So whats the verdict? Were V8s Chevrolet Orange like everyone with one in their trucks likes to paint them? Or were they Grey like the sheet I have says they were?
Well the three little * say it’s an assumption. So?🤷ðŸ¼â€â™‚ï¸
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
When I pulled my 283 to replace the clutch and camshaft I found it to be green under the grease. I chose Detroit Diesel green for the repaint, I'm happy with it.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
The genuine 1955 car brochure shows the V8 is orange and the 6 is blue. So everybody see's those motors or uses those motors or paints them Chevy Orange when rebuilt. The Taskmaster is said to be yellow. Trademaster is said to be gray. All of the online info is copying the first article. WhackyWiki. Assumptions, multi colors possible, car motor orange or red 55-56, 5 colors and 6 cylinder also gray like V8?.......... %99 of the world would paint it Chevy orange. Not too many guys paint their V8's gray. IMO It looks better orange, with black other stuff, and chrome.
Bottom line: can't find factory literature or brochure stating colors of truck motor. Just articles.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
But, as bartamos posted, no one knows the color codes, but I have a Chevrolet document stating the 1954 truck new (high pressure) 235 engine was painted gray (which shade .? .? .? - unknown).
Extraneous information regarding 6v changeover in trucks:
Chevrolet trucks: - 6v through the end of Chevrolet Advance-Design (1955 1st series) - 12v from the start of Chevrolet Task Force trucks (1955 2nd series) - 6 & 8 cylinder engines
GMC - 6v on 6-cylinders through the end of 1955 (beyond the 54/55 New Design Z-series) - 12v on 8 cylinder Blue Chip series - late 1955 - 6v still on 6 cylinder GMC engines in late 1955 New Design Y-series - 12v on all 6-cylinder GMC New Design X-series 1956 engines
Chevrolet cars changed to 12v at the model change in 1955.