The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (R&S 51 GMC, Otto Skorzeny, ShopRag, baldeagle), 147 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
So as we all know, on the Advance Design trucks, radiator stand is the foundation of the front clip. In removing mine, I expected to find the spacer between the bottom of the stand and the top of the front cross member. I did. I was also expecting to find a washer or two. I didn't, but that's not a big deal. I did, however find the anti-rattle "gasket/grommet" between the bottom of the stand and the top of the two-hole spacer. It appears to be a reinforced rubberized canvas or something -- and not quite the same material as the fender welting, either. Are replacements for this available? If not, what would be a suitable replacement?
Attachments
DSC_0104.JPG (2.42 MB, 74 downloads)


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Cut a piece out of an old bicycle tire?🛠 Don’t know if a repro is available or not.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Those pads are reproduced. I don't know if they are as durable as the original ones.
Whatever you go with, the thickness of the pad/pads (some take one in the center, and some take two spread out a bit) and the thickness of the shims is crucial for proper alignment of the rear edge of the hood where it meets the cowl.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
What is the proper name for this? (no guesses -- I can do that for myself, thanks)


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Radiator Support Cushion, 6.0300, 2209538
3/16" thick
2" wide
1/2" diameter hole

Per the GMC Master Parts Book. After 1952 there appears to be a change. 1954 used shims.


"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Looks like Steele Rubber Products along with all the usual suppliers has Radiator Support Cushions. Sorry, I don’t know how to post links. Maybe Tim or someone computer literate can jump in with a number.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 118
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 118
My '57 GMC has a similar anti-squeak pad under the radiator support. I found that a hay round baler belt is almost identical to the original pad. just have to cut a piece to the right size. I had a roll from Tractor Supply that we use to patch our baler belts that I used. It is heavy duty rubber with fiber reinforcement in the middle, and the same thickness.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
I use the side wall from a tire.


_____________
Floyd

If we choose being kind over being right,we will
be right every time.
Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience.
Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it
is precious nonetheless.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
Thanks Dusty53 just ordered some.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Indeed -- Thanks Dusty -- exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the thickness info, Yellowsub -- I'll check it when it comes in. Hambone found a mud flap -- It will be interesting to see if the thickness is similar.

GMC guys -- For future reference -- Your radiator support mounting is very different than the Chevrolet one.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Do you have a GMC support "assembly", John. Does it look like the one I posted above?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 118
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 118
The GMC support may be different yes, but that rubber pad, while it may be a slightly different shape, serves the same purpose.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Alrighty then, I have my original question answered, no need to over engineer this.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0