The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Gray_Ghost, Uncles51, Hush, Hawkman, fonz8261), 195 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1250332 01/10/2018 3:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Hi everyone, I just joined because I just bought a bunch of stuff starting with a 1937 cab and a 1938 parts pickup...I'm retired and on the cheap ($) so I'm trying to find what will work in my stuff... it came with a 1937 rebuilt (but not run) 216 engine that I Thought I would start with, and in my shed is a 1963 ms420 , I also have a torque tube rear end from a 1953 Belair Power glide..I'm wondering what you all know about mating these up.. thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice...BOB

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Since you are like most of us, more time than money, I'm thinking that trying to make parts that don't go together will cost more in the long run than obtaining the correct parts at swap meets. I'd ditch the passenger car torque tube and find a open ujointed rear and get a driveshaft cut to fit your wheel base of the 38

Last edited by sstock; 01/10/2018 5:33 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
420's came with and without park brakes.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
sstock #1251590 01/19/2018 8:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
you are right about using newer open driveline conversion.. I have come around to your way of thinking... I have a 74 nova 250 running gear ( still in the car with everything I need.. just need to see if the 216 is worth staying with.. I can mate the 250 with the 63 4 speed ( granny gear) out to the .308 / 1 rear ( 5 bolt wheel) or use a blazer rear end and get 6 bolt wheels...thanks for the direction..

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Beaver Bob, I just opened up a 420 trans that I got cheap, it was going to the iron heap. Man, this thing is built and very considerable in size in relation to bearings gears, etc. That could be a firm foundation for your drive train. I had the original blown up babbit 216 and decided on a 235 for my truck but a 250 should be fine, just need to make sure the bell housing fits. Ujoints and driveshaft for that rear will be real easy for a shop to cut the exact length and balance and put the yokes of your choice on there. Sounds to me you are on the right track to getting a forward direction on your 37-38. Post up some pictures as you proceed. Most of us live vicariously through other people's builds.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Beaver Bob, I put a 79 Blazer rear (3.40 ratio) in my 59 Suburban with the SM420 in it. (I did have a 350 in it though) and it had plenty of power and no issues going down the freeway. (31x10.5-15 tires on it)


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
sstock #1252038 01/22/2018 4:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Thank you , It is still winter around here... giving me way to much time to think... when I can get the motor over to my shop I think I will open up the bottom end and see if the babbits are still there or whether it has bearings.. that would be my most favorable go ahead.. what is the difference between the ms420 and a 1963 4 speed or are they the same?


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0