The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Shade Baby, Mike'sPlace, carbking), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
I traded some parts over xmas and got a front sway bar.I have some questions about the mounts. Where the bar connects to the spring plate just has a short piece of angle iron , one goes on the spring bolt and the other up to the bar.The instructions that came showed it that way but when I went to the venders site they have a different bracket. Emailed them and am waiting on reply. Has anyone mounted theirs that way and has it worked ok?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Pictures might help us understand what you're looking at or provide a link to the vendors web page showing the parts.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
its from brothers truck nlmf559 is their listing . I will see if I can take a pic of the bracket under the truck and post.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Yes that's it but the instructions are much clearer in your kit. Thanks.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
Here is what came with my sway bar, https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/driveline/swaybar/2.jpg See the full install in the tech tips above under suspension sway bar mount.

Joe

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Joe that was the bracket that was on the web page . It looks to me like a stronger way to attach the bar. I emailed the mfg with a pic of what I got and what they show, am hoping I can get the bracket like you have , if not I may make my own

Just took a look at my spring mount and the 59 has a shock mount on the front of the spring bolt. that may be why the difference in brackets. The one joe posted does not have the shock mount.

Last edited by 59chevy36; 01/04/2018 11:08 PM. Reason: more info
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
My shock mounts are on the front u-bolts, I had to mount the sway-bar bracket to the rear u-bolts, both on the front springs. It wouldn't take much to make a bracket out of flat steel with both shock and sway-bar mounts on the same piece since one is outboard and one inboard of the spring. I wouldn't use the ones you have. A single mounting point will not hold much and suspect it will bend before the sway bar does much flexing. I believe mine are 1/4" thick. You will need to space it off the axle a bit, the bottom side of axle is not machined flat, so spacers hold the bracket far enough off the rough casting so set flat.

Joe

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Thanks joe, I went back and looked at your article, I think I can fabricate a mount like the one you have that will fit with the shock mount also. I was concerned that the single mounting point would flex and eventually break the bolt.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
I am with you on that, I can't imagine anyone thinking that would work.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0