The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1248483 12/28/2017 12:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
My truck has some modifications but for the most part is original. This winter I was working on steering and wondering should I rebiuld my steering box or find a more modern one that might work.Problems I found on the truck were slight ware on right front king pin so I replaced the king pin and bushings and the left bracket that bolts to the bottom of the spindel and goes to the tie rod was loose. Next I would like to do something with steering Box any suggestions?

Last edited by 29tons; 12/28/2017 7:48 PM.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Some modern semi COE trucks have canted box, should be close to what you want. '94-'95 GM baby school bus for one.

Ed



'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 62
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 62
I bought an '85 Chevy van 30, (cube van) big disc brakes, dually hubs... 8x6.5" pattern so 16" rims stock, 19.5 rims an option. It has a bolt in IFS crossmember (looks very similar to 73-87 chev truck xmembers) similar to the point of looking like the truck A arms would even bolt to it. (And opposite, use truck x member with these big brakes) The exception is for the steering setup, which looks to me like it would work well in a COE. Someone robbed the steering box out of mine before I got it, but it looks like instead of the steering input to the box pointing aft like a typical box, it would point straight up into the cab. Looks like either a power box or manual box would fit. I'll try to mock it up and post some pictures.


1953 Chevrolet 1100
Grandpa's truck
Story in Big Bolts
1952 GMC 9700
Story in Big Bolts
1948 Chevy Pickup
"Two brothers; two trucks"
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 62
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 62
A front end swap is probably a lot more than you were looking to do, but when I figured out how I think this goes together, modern COE steering (/ suspension and brakes) is where my thoughts went... I got it loosely mocked up and took some pics. The steering box is just one I had laying around and is not the '85 chevy van 30 box. I tacked it there with a bolt (all holes line up, just a different shaft on this box so the pitman arm won't bolt on) the frame sections are also just tacked back in with a couple bolts and I put the idler arm back on for the pics. Slightly off topic (as is my reply) but thought I'd add brakes are hydroboost setup...
Attachments
Drivers.jpg (89.75 KB, 50 downloads)
Passenger.jpg (82.55 KB, 52 downloads)
passenger idler arm.jpg (38.67 KB, 50 downloads)


1953 Chevrolet 1100
Grandpa's truck
Story in Big Bolts
1952 GMC 9700
Story in Big Bolts
1948 Chevy Pickup
"Two brothers; two trucks"
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
One can file the skip splines to make new ones to change Pittman arm orientation with a 3- cornered file while watching a ball game or such.

ED


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0