The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (GMCJammer51, TUTS 59, jmoore, 66flea, Ponchogl), 115 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,681
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
Hey folks, a question please.
First, I’ve read hundreds of Post and google searches until I can’t see straight anymore.
My ’50 Chevy 3100 (216) needs a rebuild (0 compression in all but one cyl).
I also acquired a ’53 235 with a casting date of G 20 3 (Jul 20, 1953) which is not yet in my possession,
so I don’t yet know the casting number. It currently has a stick tranny, but I don’t know if that’s original.
Also, it’s not in a vehicle, so that’s no help yet either.

Since this date is near the introduction of the Full Pressure oil system and Insert Bearings, is it possible
to determine (aside from pulling the oil pan), if this is a splash oiling and/or Babbitted eng?
This eng has the smaller passenger side plate and (4) valve cover screws.
It does NOT have the small Kidney shaped cover on drivers side.
I should have the casting number shortly, but I suspect that still won’t answer my question.
Sure would appreciate some input, thanks, Jim
Attachments
IMG_7044aa.jpg (282.8 KB, 233 downloads)
My '50 3100 5 window, I love this truck!

Last edited by jkvincent; 11/25/2017 6:57 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
It looks like you are describing a high-pressure block, standard production engine-design from 1954 onwards.

There were some high-pressure 1953 235s in a few 1953 vehicles (one example: the Corvette 235 with mechanical lifters and w/Powerglide transmission). The head and block casting codes, head and block date casting codes, and the Engine Serial Number should provide the most conclusive answers.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
No kidney been shaped oil distributor means it is a full pressure 235.
That engine, and only the full pressure engine in 1953, will also have Captain bars above the starter.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
In '53 only the passenger cars with the powerglide trans had the new full pressure oiling motor everything else was splash.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
An update with Numbers, (I’m beginning to breathe again)

Casting date G 20 3 (Jul 20 1953)
Casting # 3701481 (’53 or ’53-’54) * ( see below) depending on which chart we go with.
Casting # on this eng is located between fuel pump & front of block. (1954 only?)
Cylinder head casting # 3836848 (1956)
Stamped serial # LAS394655
3 lumps cast iron between spark plugs, this eng has them. (53-63)
3 holes both sides of block, (drilled), this eng has them. (52-54)
Capt Bars are above the starter.
NO kidney bean shaped plate on drivers side.
Short passenger side plate.
4 screws valve cover.
Crank DOES turn.

*(Two) popular websites with “Eng Casting numbers & ID” charts show
slightly different years for my Casting #,

one shows ‘’54” and the other shows “53-54”.
Casting date was mid ’53 (G 20 3), I’m guessing it’s possible this engine
could have actually gone into a ’54..….

Three questions please,
1) any way to research that??
2) what do you believe I have?
casting date says 53
casting # location says 54
3) could someone help me decode the stamped serial # LAS394655
or steer me in the right direction to find it, I must be missing something
because I can’t find anything remotely close.

I’m new at this, so there’s a high probability ...I don’t what I’m talking about.

Last edited by jkvincent; 12/03/2017 2:10 PM.
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
OK, I think I figured out the answer to #3.....

L 1953
A 2100-2400 pass car (210-Belair) 235 w/PowerGlide & Power steering
S Tonawanda

Correct??

Sorry for any confusion, I had another Post just before Posting this, and it's being held up for approval
and apparently this Post went through first...oh well

Last edited by jkvincent; 11/28/2017 2:44 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
Hey Tim, thanks for your interest.
I went out today to get numbers & photos of the (new to me) engine I bought last week
but haven't yet picked-up. I was having difficulty decoding the letters in the serial # LAS394655
Hopefully, that Post will come along shortly, sorry the two are out of order.

I guess I "hit" the magic of number of 5 posts (to be cut loose). I see you're a "new guy" too....26k and counting :-)


Last edited by jkvincent; 11/28/2017 3:41 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Sorry, jkvincent

You are correct regarding: LAS394655

It is a rare and very interesting/historic engine - a transition Stovebolt.

Keep asking question, and keep ignoring odd questions from people like me.



Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
Tim, here's the Post that was out of sequence, as you can see, I figured out #3

An update with Numbers, (I’m beginning to breathe again)
Casting date G 20 3 (Jul 20 1953)
Casting # 3701481 (’53 or ’53-’54) * ( see below) depending on which chart we go with.
Casting # on this eng is located between fuel pump & front of block. (1954 only?)
Cylinder head casting # 3836848 (1956)
Stamped serial # LAS394655
3 lumps cast iron between spark plugs, this eng has them. (53-63)
3 holes both sides of block, (drilled), this eng has them. (52-54)
Capt Bars are above the starter.
NO kidney bean shaped plate on drivers side.
Short passenger side plate.
4 screws valve cover.
Crank DOES turn.

*(Two) popular websites with “Eng Casting numbers & ID” charts show
slightly different years for my Casting #,
one shows ‘’54” and the other shows “53-54”.
Casting date was mid ’53 (G 20 3), I’m guessing it’s possible this engine
could have actually gone into a ’54..….

Three questions please,
1) any way to research that??
2) what do you believe I have?
Casting date says 53
Casting # location says 54
3) could someone help me decode the stamped serial # LAS394655
or steer me in the right direction to find it, I must be missing something
because I can’t find anything remotely close.
I’m new at this, so there’s a high probability I don’t what I’m talking about.

Jim




Last edited by jkvincent; 12/03/2017 2:13 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Good work, Jim

LAS394655 can be decoded by using info at a link I posted above. It is an extensive technical write-up by GM regarding 1953 Chevrolet vehicle codes.

L = 1953
A = 235
S = installed with a Powerglide transmission

You are doing exceptionally well. Slow and thorough and careful.

http://www.1954advance-design.com/chev-specs/1953-Chevrolet-t-and-c-ser.pdf
http://www.1954advance-design.com/Stovebolt-engine/casting-numbers.html

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The "S" in LAS is a rare option, Powerglide and power steering. Not many were sold with PS.
I am use to only seeing LAQ engines.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Dave,

Did the Corvette have power steering?

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
??...I'm confused now, I thought the "S" was Tonawanda?
what am I missing?

Jim

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Yes, Jim, it indicates Tonawanda, too

The only plant that made that combination:
R.P.O. 235 with Powerglide and power steering

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by tclederman
Dave, Did the Corvette have power steering?
Not a Corvette expert, but I do not find where they did in my books.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0