| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,377 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 1,181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 1,181 | On my project I plan on having the non-custon look. I have two great bumpers, just surface rust on the chrome. I would like to paint them white. What is the best way to do this? (Special primer/sealer/paint?) All the bumpers I can find are chromed.
Jake | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 79 | You don't have to do anything more than what you would normally do for the rest of the body. Sand, prep, prime and paint.
Since chrome is rather hard, initially you may have to be a little more agressive to break the glaze in order to get a good tooth for the primer. But aside from that, the rest of it is straight forward.
1949 "Heinz 57"
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 | You can also sand blast it then follow up with some primer coats till smooth again. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | I would also sandblast the chrome just because its easier...The I would prime using something similar to Duponts veri-prime which has a lot of "grab" to it..The prime using regular primer, sand, seal, and paint... Bill B. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 | The chrome on my bumper was peeling so I used a grinder to take off all the chrome. Then I prepared it in the usual way and painted it. It seems to be fine. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 3 | I do not have a blaster, so I use the local gravestone monument maker to do my blasting. Had the front splash apron done for $5.
Kind regards from The Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Tycer
| | |
| |
| |