The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Martak, Wally / Montana), 167 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124187 01/20/2007 2:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
On my project I plan on having the non-custon look. I have two great bumpers, just surface rust on the chrome. I would like to paint them white. What is the best way to do this? (Special primer/sealer/paint?) All the bumpers I can find are chromed.

Jake


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
You don't have to do anything more than what you would normally do for the rest of the body. Sand, prep, prime and paint.

Since chrome is rather hard, initially you may have to be a little more agressive to break the glaze in order to get a good tooth for the primer. But aside from that, the rest of it is straight forward.


1949 "Heinz 57"
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
You can also sand blast it then follow up with some primer coats till smooth again.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
I would also sandblast the chrome just because
its easier...The I would prime using something
similar to Duponts veri-prime which has a lot of
"grab" to it..The prime using regular primer, sand,
seal, and paint... Bill B.


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
The chrome on my bumper was peeling so I used a grinder to take off all the chrome. Then I prepared it in the usual way and painted it. It seems to be fine.


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
I do not have a blaster, so I use the local gravestone monument maker to do my blasting. Had the front splash apron done for $5.


Kind regards from The Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains,
Tycer

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0