The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1241629 11/02/2017 4:10 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 11
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 11
I am a new member to the forum. Will a 1954 (and later 50s) 235 engine bolt directly to my 1953 4 speed transmission? Is there anything special I should know about this potential swap?
Thanks,
Bob



I do not understand this item.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Hello, Bob,

Welcome to Stovebolt.com

Assuming you will be installing this in a 1953 truck:

Any high-pressure 235 (and all 261s) can be installed in a 1953 truck and all can use the 1953 transmission.
Use the 1953 clutch-housing and clutch assembly (and starter), too.

Also, use your 1953 water pump, and install a water-pump relocation plate if you use a 1955-2nd series and later 235/261 (link with info is given below).
http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/search/label/Water%20Pump%20Relocation%20Adapter

All truck 235/261 engines had mechanical lifters; and, all 1956 and later 235 car engines used hydraulic lifters.
Canadian Pontiac 261 engines used hydraulic lifters.

If you obtain a 235 that came from a vehicle/car with a Powerglide transmission, a truck pilot bearing (at rear-end of the crankshaft) will be needed.

Keep asking questions. Be sure to give full information on engine/truck in each new post, so we do not have to remember what you are working on.

Good luck,

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Welcome Bob.

I noticed in your "signature" (the text that shows up below the separating line on each post that you make), that you put "I don't understand this item".

If you go to top of the page under "My Stuff" and select "Edit Profile", you can scroll down to the signature box where you typed "I don't understand this item" and edit it- you can put whatever you want there, but if you put the year, make, model and engine info (and your name, if you like), then press "save", then all that information will then show up automatically on every post that you make. It'll make it easier and quicker for these guys to answer your questions.

I'm restoring a '50 3600 and all the help I have received here thus far has been invaluable.

Last edited by Norcal Dave; 11/02/2017 3:32 PM.

~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Bob, don't listen to Dave. Leave the "I don't understand this item" right where it is.
It makes me feel so much better about myself and my lack of knowledge with things computered. And yes, 'computred' is a word. Maybe not an English language word, but a word none the less.
P. S. welcome to the Bolt
Carl

Last edited by 52Carl; 11/03/2017 1:49 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
I love the wit of some -makes for a cool place to visit in the mornings before the first cup.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I lucked out with my '53 in that I had a 54 full pressure motor which was the last year for the old style water pump made it an easy swap. As mentioned you can adapt that early pump to any 55 and later 235 no problem. BTW I used my 53 bell housing, flywheel etc etc.
Best of luck
Jim


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0