The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (39Master85, papas52, Jack Ryan, 1955 1 Series, BC59, JW51), 54 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,326
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
I am installing the fenders back on my 51 Chevy Truck and purchased the beaded welting to fit between the body and fenders.
I first noticed that the welting is so wide that it obstructs the body bolt holes, which neccessitated notching the welting at each bolt hole.
Next I noticed that after tightening the fender bolts, the welting is uneaven and loose in spots.
I was hoping for a nice tight fit and an even bead appearance all the way around the edges.
What should I have done differently to improve the quality of the welting install?
Thanks for your 2 cents worth in advance.


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
What I did to make my installation easier is I glue the welting on to the fender before bolting it to the truck. After I glued the welting on I then cut out the bolt hole areas.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Will,

Yes, you should have to notch the welting at each bolt hole.

Also, you will have to notch the welting almost to the bead in order to turn downward corners. You will need more and closer notches with tighter corners.

Classic Truck Shop has a tech article with helpful photos.

Tim

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
I did the same as above, I made slits about
every 1/2 inch to make smooth radiuses, then used
3-m trim spray glue to glue it on...after it tacked
up good the holes were cut....Bill B


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
Great idea !! I havent got that far on my 51 yet but I was wondering about what to do about that
Todd


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
THANKS! The slits permitted the welting to flex around the curvature of the fenders a LOT better and the glue (I used weather stripping glue) worked out just great! My welting now looks neat and uniform!!
Again THANKS


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
Check this out for a full set of instructions:

http://www.classictruckshop.com/welting.php


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Thanks, 56picup, good set of instructions. We are doing this on our 53 this weekend.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
you can also tape it in place with masking tape when its all together pull the tape

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Well it looks like you guys got it covered. I used most of those ideas when we did mine.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0