The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (fonz8261, Cletus1950, Deegs53, 1 invisible), 142 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,659
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Hello all, I've been rewiring my '52 burb. It's been going relatively smooth. I've pretty much got everything wired up but, today I started the motor to see if the alternator is charging. It is charging but, when I turned the key off the motor continued to run. I' guess I have wired the alternator up improperly. I started and killed it with the key prior to connecting the alternator to the motor. I'm sure I could figure this out with the wiring diagram but, frankly, I'm ready to move on. Any suggestions on where I may have gone wrong?

I've installed the American Autowire Highway 15 Nostalgia with the original key and foot starter.

Thanks!!


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
Are you running a three wire alternator? If so, you need to add a diode to the harness on the wire that goes to the ignition switch. That will solve the problem. You can do search to find out what diode to buy, then get it at Radio Shack. Very inexpensive. I soldered mine into the wire just before it enters the alternator plug. Or, if you are installing a 10SI three wire alternator, you can go to eBay and buy a pigtail that plugs into your alternator socket that has the diode installed for about $10.

Matt

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Maybellene, Thanks for the info. I remember that from my '54, now that you mentioned that!! I'll see what I can round up. Thanks!!


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Maybellene, I found the diode at Fry's Electronics for 99 cents. Thanks for the suggestion, it saved me time and money.

Again, this community saved the day!! Thanks


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0