The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, Gray_Ghost, John L., 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,569
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Am about ready to purchase tires for the 53 Suburban. ** Can someone with Suburban & tires experience advise me on the best radials to install on vintage artillery wheels size 6:00-16??

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

I have used LT215/85R16 (black walls) on my 6.50x16" 4.5" rims/wheels, with and without inner tubes.
These tires have the general appearance of the original bias ply tires.

Hopefully, someone with 6.00x16" 4.0 rims/wheels on any 47-55st 3100 will post their size of radial tires.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
I have been very happy with my Coker radials. They are not the cheapest option but probably come closest to mimicking the looks of a bias ply tire. They require the use of radial tubes and come in both 6.00x16 and 6.50x 16 sizes.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
I have LT215/85R16 (black walls) on my 6.50x16" wheels, with inner tubes. The rims are 4", and that made me nervous, but five years later they're still on there and doing fine.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Brought this up before. I ordered four 215/85R16 for my 49. The first dealer would not install them as the 4" rims were too narrow. Went to a second dealer who said the same thing plus the fact there is no safety bead on the rims. I have seen many trucks with this set up although IMO they look like fat donuts.

Consequently I bought four Coker/Firestone 650-16 bias ply and love them dearly. Seems the compound is different than the old bias-ply tires and I get no flat spotting. They ride very smoothly but can get caught in grooves on the road although I cannot think of it happening too many times after 6 years of use.
The idea of having radials is still in my mind but will see.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Originally Posted by Tom R
I have LT215/85R16 (black walls) on my 6.50x16" wheels, with inner tubes. The rims are 4", and that made me nervous, but five years later they're still on there and doing fine.
Hello, Tom,

6.50x16" is a tire size

In 1948, a 16x4.00 rim would have originally had a 6.00x16" tire.
6.50x16" tires could be mounted on the 4.50 wheels.

Would you say your tires look like balloons/fat-donuts?

My radial tires have a "normal" narrow-looking profile.
The rated rolling-diameter of 28" for those radials is for a wider rim.
Those radials look narrow on our narrower rims (and the rolling diameter is around 31.5 " on the narrower rims).
I had no problem finding national-brand truck-tire dealers being willing to mount those tires on my 1954 rims.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
I have three 4.5" rims and one 4" rim with 215 85R16 tires and I cannot tell which of the four is the 4" rim.
They do not look like donuts. They don't even look much like radials since the corners are square looking like bias ply tires.
I had already payed a small fortune on prep and body color paint on that 4" rim before I realized that it was skinnier than the other three. Turns out that it didn't matter.
They are set up tubeless to boot.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The diameter of the 600x16 is ~28". Using a sizing calculator the closest size in diameter and cross section width in a radial would be 175/75x16 which aren't readily available in this country. A 205 or 215 will be fairly easy to find but your speedometer will be a tad off.

Last edited by Tiny; 10/03/2017 3:17 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0