Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | Ok, went to get my '56 235 that was rebuilt for my 3600 '53 chevy truck. My plan is to use the original transmission (4 on the floor) with the original bell housing, the original clutch, the original flywheel and original starter and then run 12 volts. However, Murphey went with! My flywheel is gone. Not a 216 or a 235 flywheel - nothing. So I'm gonna have to buy one. My question is should I just find another 216 flywheel? Would that be best? If I did a 235 I'd have to get a new starter and I don't know if the original clutch would then work or not? Any ideas?
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 |
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | How do you suppose you lost that flywheel?  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Just to be correct for future readers, 1937-1955st 235/261 flywheels would all be 6v, also. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | First of all - my dad has been working on it, and memory is going, so I'm not going to grill him. The flywheel is gone. Then, I'm not sure about the correction. I realize both are 6volt - but I thought the flywheel and starter had to match, am I wrong? Can someone say what I should get? Is the 216 and 235 the same (is that what you were saying)? Help?
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | All 216s were 6v
1941-1955 first series 235 were 6v 1954-1955 first series 261s were 6v
Chevrolet truck 235/261 engines after 1955 first series were 12v. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | If you have a 6v starter you want a flywheel off a 6v engine. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | I know i sound stupid, but there's a reason for that - it's because in this case I am. And I know the starter isn't 12 volt, but I'm converting to 12 and I know the 6 volt starter will take 12 easily. So please be patient, but I have to ask one more time. Do I need a flywheel from a 216 if I want to use the starter from my 216? Or will one from a 235 (yes, I know, 6 volt) work?
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Non problem (ever) asking questions, Paul.
Use that 6v starter on any flywheel that was delivered with a 6v electrical system (all 216s, and the 235s & 261s mentioned above).
Chevrolet trucks changed to 12v in late 1955.
139 teeth on 6v flywheels 168 teeth on 12v flywheels | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | Great! Thank you so much. That I understand! Already got an offer to buy one so thanks guys. I just wanted to learn something and I definitely did.
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | Well, I just looked at my clutch (the pan that holds the pressure plate on, bolts to the flywheel). Mine has 9 bolt holes around the outside of it. Apparently that might be rare? And yes, it came off a 216.
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | I think we've got this one covered, guys- - - -I've got a 1946 engine with the 9 bolt clutch, good flywheel, and the matching starter from the same engine! Paul and I have a PM thread going! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I would like to know about the 9 bolt pressure plates. When were they used and for how long? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 | If the flywheel disappeared, maybe you could call a few machine shops in the area to see if he had dropped it off for surfacing?
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | Hi Dave. Actually, I paid to have it resurfaced. Then they delivered it to the shop my brother works at (aling with about a hundred other parts) and then my dad picked everything up and he's been working on it for more than a year. Now his memory is going and no one can agree on anything other than no one has it. I guess this can happen when you spend years working on a project. Just have to move on. Thanks.
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | |
| |