The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, DadsFirstPickup, Otto Skorzeny), 204 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1232747 08/31/2017 1:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 709
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 709
Finding a gasket without the 235 side-stud holes has been a challenge. I ordered this from Rock-Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3658059&cc=1487136&jsn=1

Has anyone purchased one of these? Any reviews? Did it come with the nut rubber-grommets?

Thanks!


1948 Chevy Thriftmaster 3/4-Ton
Poncho "farming" in Ontario
Starting in the DITY
Continuing in the Project Journals
More images

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
I used a steel straight edge and a exacto knife to cut the side straight then filled the holes with gasket silicon, can't tell it's not the original 216 gasket once installed!


1950 Chevrolet model 1434 5-Window Canadian manufactured 1-Ton with Dump Bed / Hoist
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
You will never stop learning new things, no matter how old you are.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I liked to use a thick low-pressure 216/235 valve cover gasket.

There might be a thick gasket here?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
At one time, I had a thick rubber gasket for a 216 (no holes). I have no idea where it came from. It was awesome!


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I find that all the 216 valve cover gaskets I buy do not have the correct contour around the valve springs. I have to trim each one in a number of places.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Victor VS 39725
Iv been buying them for years from the "mom and pop" auto parts by me.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 709
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 709
the VS39725 is what I ordered from Rock Auto, so that's encouraging wink


1948 Chevy Thriftmaster 3/4-Ton
Poncho "farming" in Ontario
Starting in the DITY
Continuing in the Project Journals
More images

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
Will that gasket work on a 235?


1951 3100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What year 235?

Low-pressure or high-pressure oil system?

4 screw valve cover or 2 bolt valve cover?

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
The later, 4 valve cover. Wouldn't appear to have holes in the right spot but wondered if it sits "inside" those bolts.

Not super impressed with the fel-pro gasket I've got. For garage work I've actually been sticking with the thick rubber gasket that was on the truck.


1951 3100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I have put the 2-bolt valve cover on a 261 (using the 2-bolt conversion "kit" and older-style valve cover). I dimly recall that the 4-screw holes were covered.

Someone with one near them will most likely post a definitive reply.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0