Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,102 Posts1,056,185 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 293 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 293 | I used a steel straight edge and a exacto knife to cut the side straight then filled the holes with gasket silicon, can't tell it's not the original 216 gasket once installed! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I liked to use a thick low-pressure 216/235 valve cover gasket. There might be a thick gasket here? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | At one time, I had a thick rubber gasket for a 216 (no holes). I have no idea where it came from. It was awesome!
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I find that all the 216 valve cover gaskets I buy do not have the correct contour around the valve springs. I have to trim each one in a number of places. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | Victor VS 39725 Iv been buying them for years from the "mom and pop" auto parts by me. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 | the VS39725 is what I ordered from Rock Auto, so that's encouraging  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 | Will that gasket work on a 235?
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year 235?
Low-pressure or high-pressure oil system?
4 screw valve cover or 2 bolt valve cover? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 | The later, 4 valve cover. Wouldn't appear to have holes in the right spot but wondered if it sits "inside" those bolts.
Not super impressed with the fel-pro gasket I've got. For garage work I've actually been sticking with the thick rubber gasket that was on the truck.
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have put the 2-bolt valve cover on a 261 (using the 2-bolt conversion "kit" and older-style valve cover). I dimly recall that the 4-screw holes were covered.
Someone with one near them will most likely post a definitive reply. | | |
| |