Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,499 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | My old harness is a rat's nest and an extreme fire hazard. I don't want the hassle of repairing or creating my own. I am looking at a reproduction from some of the vendors. I'm not going for originality, but something that I can plug and play so to speak. Classic parts has one listed that is for 53-54 Chev/gmc with an alternator. I want to go alternator but will this harness have provisions for turn signals? I am still awaiting a reply from CP. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 186 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 186 | The speedway.com harness seem to be the deal of the net. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | However, I can't seem to find a speedway harness that isn't specifically for a "stocker." I am not going to have efi, power windows, a/c, rocking stereo, extra lighting, door poppers, tilt if ididit column, etc. I am just looking for a stock ish alternator harness (several of which I have found) that incorporates turn signals and power wipers (maybe in the future). Has anybody gone down this road? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | If you get a stock type plug & play it will be the easiest way to go but It is expensive & it is still old fashioned with limited fuses & circuit protection. You will probably have to add your own wiring for the turn signals, radio, & heater, as these were dealer installed items. I use the Speedway harnesses but you need some electrical experience to do it. I lay the harness out on the table & cut off any circuits that won't be used. Leave a short amount of wire & bundle the unused wires so if you add something latter it will be there. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Fox,
The Classic Parts "standard" "stock" wiring harness is a nice appearance-match for original 1953/54 truck wiring. They include extra wires for turn signals. You can hardly beat the quality and the price.
Is you cab and steering-column/wheel 53 or 54?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | Classic parts has one listed that is for 53-54 Chev/gmc with an alternator. I want to go alternator but will this harness have provisions for turn signals? I am still awaiting a reply from CP. Part # : 52-026 It will have wiring for the park lamps, and it is set up for double contact, so the park lamps can function as turn signals. (Information Per Classic Parts chat) Edit- I got this one for a 55.2 & it is a super easy harness to install. Brad Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | The cab and column are 53. Brad, are you running a gen or alternator? Pros during install, cons? Did the task force have signal lights already or did you have to upgrade your stockers like I am trying to do?
One last question: I would like to maybe one day be able to toe my camper with this old one ton. Would this harness suffice (52-026) for towing?
Last edited by Fox; 08/17/2017 4:23 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | This harness will probably break if you tow a camper with it..
I'm just joking, but what do you mean? Do you mean 'does it have trailer light connections?'
I thought I linked to a harness for an alternator but I probably messed up... anyways, I have an alternator. The task force did have signal lights when I got it, but Ray Charles did the installation. They were not factory or dealer installed, in other words. I currently am only running a single tail light, but I have function checked the old turn signals & switch with the new wiring harness. It worked fine.
Good instructions are provided with the harness & the wires are clearly labeled with a number. Straightforward stuff .
I did not note anything in my truck journal regarding the wiring harness installation. I ran most of the wiring to relax from other tasks that were frustrating. I can't think of any cons with it. Brad Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | My error Brad, your link was for alternator. I need to pay more attention! Yes, I was wondering about tailed light connection possibilities. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | I don't know about the trailer hook-up/connectors. I've added the (trailer light) capability to farm/hunting ATVs & vehicles with the 4 or 7 prong wiring kits... I would have to ask for help on the 55.2 if I decided to have a trailer light hook-up. The classic wiring harness has a lot (several, maybe 6?) of extra wiring apparatuses included. I'm not sure off-hand what the instructions said they were for. Original wiring/lamps on my truck. My Great uncle towed his jon boat with the truck; it looked like he wired a cigarette lighter 12v outlet to connect the trailer lamps. I'm a bit young to know this practice, so maybe someone else has done this- it could be an option? Brad (edit - looking at those pictures reminded me: the 12v connection on the shade-tree torch welded "towing package" was functional in 2011 when I got the truck. I would have to find pictures to see where the wiring was routed. It would be easier if somebody explained how to make a trailer light hook-up.) Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | |
| |