The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Martak, Wally / Montana), 167 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
I have 1954 3600 rebuilt 4 years ago. My problem I believe is the cab has settled a bit over time. I did replace all the front corner supports and shims with new rubber pads. New shackles in the rear too. The aprons are rubbing into the cab corners and scraping off paint. Makes a real bad creaking noise on slow 90 degree corners turning up a driveway. I think I need to shim the shackles to raise the corners up away from the aprons. Does this sound logical?
Thanks a lot
Sharon

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Hmm, you shouldn't have to shim the cab more than the factory specification, so here's some thoughts....if none of these apply, I'm stumped....

When you replaced the cab mounts, did you shim between the cab and rear shackle on each side to get the correct clearance between the frame and the floor panel of the cab ? The distance between the cab and the floor panel on your truck is .760" +.060 / -.0 .

On the front mounts , the distance is 1.830 " +.060 / -.0 .

You can go online to the chevy old car manual site and review the information on cab mounts, if that's helpful.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck

I recently replaced the front mounts and refurbished the rear mounts on my 1954 3604. It was a bit of a challenge.



Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
There is a short welded cross frame that the top shackle bolts thru. Its welded to the floor of the cab and has small turned down edges. I cant get my index finger between the floor and the top of the frame rails. I guess that I don't have the required 3/4" inch clearance correct?

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
I would say you've found the problem. I found it helpful to loosen the front mount bolts when jacking up the rear to install shims between the top of the shackles and the bottom of the floor pan. I made the shims from 18 guage steel sheets I bought from Lowes. I think you got this!



Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I am surprised that you aren't having problems with your clutch/brake/accelerator pedals interfering with your toe board.
Before you raise the rear of the cab, you will need to check the gap at the front mounts as mentioned by Dusty53.
I would also recommend removing the 2 bolts which hold the bottom of the radiator support to the front crossmember so that you don't put undue stress on the front clip (fenders, radiator support) while you jack up the rear of the cab.
The reason that you need to do all of this extra stuff is because cab adjustments are normally made before the front clip is installed.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 148
Thanks, I'll pay close attention.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I forgot to mention to remove the rubber mount and any shims under the bottom of the radiator support so that when you raise the back of the cab, the front clip has room to move downward.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0