The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (msmall, GRNHydra, RaNfLaS, Shaffer's1950, Hotrod Lincoln), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,568
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
I removed the four U joint bolts that hold the drive shaft/torque tube to the transmission. Then I slid the yoke off the splined shaft. The yoke has a lot of movement on the bearing caps. It looks like there are inside clips on the u joint, and there is space between the clips and the yoke. It almost seems like it should have outside clips to prevent so much movement. Are the bearing caps pressed into the yoke, or should they be loose as mine are now? Thanks

TommyJ

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
Disregard, got ahead of myself. Should have checked the book first. I see these u joints use bushings instead of bearing caps. I think I have it covered. Thanks

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Tommy,

You might want to post links to photos.

Here is a description of the original 1/2 ton enclosed driveshaft u-joint assembly/components.
The same description and illustration is shown in 47-54 shop manuals.
It uses bushings rather than needle bearings.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0451.ham

Maybe a different style u-joint assembly was used as a replacement over the last 50+ years?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Tommy, I understand your confusion with those u-joints. They seem to be held into place by imagination. Every time I inspect them (not often) my knee-jerk reaction is always, "Oh crap, they're shot." only to find out they are just fine.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0