| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 33 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 33 | I removed the four U joint bolts that hold the drive shaft/torque tube to the transmission. Then I slid the yoke off the splined shaft. The yoke has a lot of movement on the bearing caps. It looks like there are inside clips on the u joint, and there is space between the clips and the yoke. It almost seems like it should have outside clips to prevent so much movement. Are the bearing caps pressed into the yoke, or should they be loose as mine are now? Thanks
TommyJ | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 33 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 33 | Disregard, got ahead of myself. Should have checked the book first. I see these u joints use bushings instead of bearing caps. I think I have it covered. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Tommy, You might want to post links to photos. Here is a description of the original 1/2 ton enclosed driveshaft u-joint assembly/components. The same description and illustration is shown in 47-54 shop manuals. It uses bushings rather than needle bearings. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0451.hamMaybe a different style u-joint assembly was used as a replacement over the last 50+ years? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 | Tommy, I understand your confusion with those u-joints. They seem to be held into place by imagination. Every time I inspect them (not often) my knee-jerk reaction is always, "Oh crap, they're shot." only to find out they are just fine.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |
| |