The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 124 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122322 10/03/2006 1:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25
I just completed painting my truck disassenbled, with single stage urethane. It makes sence to me the color sand and polish after the truck is assembled, probably by next spring. Is there a problem waiting that long to sand and polish or should it be done while the paint is fresh?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I don't see where that would be a problem, it'll give the paint plenty of time to cure. Don't install ant chrome or trim until after you color sand and polish, though. And make sure to get quality sandpaper, 600-2500/3000 grits will do.
I also saw your question on windshield installation, I'd suggest finding a glass professional to put it in. From my own experience, trying to do it yourself is a real PIA. A glass shop will have the correct tools to do the job, and most will give a guarantee against leaks.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
It is my understanding that after 24/48 hours a single-stage urethane is much harder to color sand. Were there any recommendations on the product sheets for the paint you used?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
I don't know how urethane is, but I waited about 4 months to color sand acrylic enamel and it was HARD to sand. I would say the sooner the better.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
When you say "Hard to sand", do you mean the paint was hard and required more effort or you did not get good results sanding?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I painted the '55 with single stage, and had no problems sanding. It didn't seem to mater wheather the parts were frshly painted or had sat for some time.
Again, it realy depends on the materials-quality sandpaper is a must. Sanding wet helps too.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
For the best results I would sand after 24 to 48 hrs then buff the next day you will get the shine back much quicker, the longer you have to buff the greater you risk is of a screw up. your paint should say how long to wait before buffing. follow their insructions


Popa Kents Body Shop
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
I would wet sand it now and then buff it out in the spring. I painted my hood and doors a year ago then wet sanded them two days later. I waited a year before I buffed them and they came out just fine.


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
Quote
Originally posted by Lonnie Gallaher:
When you say "Hard to sand", do you mean the paint was hard and required more effort or you did not get good results sanding?
more effort required, and quality of sandpaper wasn't the issue, the paint had just cured so hard that sanding was difficult.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0