The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1221286 06/13/2017 8:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Greetings stovebolters. I'm doing the 3:55 R & P install on my '46 1/2 ton with all new bearings and seals and wasn't sure about my RH axle whether I want to look for another axle. I've posted a link to a photo of the splines so let me know what you

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/sportansm/media/IMG_0507_zpse6druqsw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

2nd question: Found a NOS RH axle pn 3656862. Is that interchangeable with the pn 3652342 I'm showing for my '46 ???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ArtA; 06/14/2017 9:11 PM. Reason: Change photo location

1946 1/2 Ton Pickup
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy ArtA, your link will not work for me, error 404. Parts are given different numbers because there are differences between them, in some cases part numbers are superceded because it was found a change or improvement was needed.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Thnx, I did find that info but was confused by what it meant. Seems to say I shouldn't replace my RH axle with diff pn but maybe OK to replace both called with earlier pns?? (3656861, 3656862). Were you able to link to my photo of my axle splines? Had problem with posting it.


1946 1/2 Ton Pickup
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
I did see the photo. The splines are worn. I had a '85 dodge pickup that wore the splines very similar to yours. It was a poor design with about 3/8 spline engagement. As it wore, I would notice the truck would dart left and right as I let of or got on the throttle. The more it wore, the more it would dart. I replaced the whole assembly and the funny darting around went away.

I have the '29-'49 parts book which states if you run the early axles marked 61 & 62, you can't mix the later axles marked 41 & 42. You need to run them as sets, one or the other.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Thanks again--just missed buying the 61& 62 on EBay--will keep looking for the 41/42. There getting hard to find


1946 1/2 Ton Pickup

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0