The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shade Baby, TexasA&M48Truck, tclederman, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
Howdy Folks,

I have alot of bare metal on my truck right now. I sandblasted it clean so I could cut out all the rust and replace it with new tin.

The bad news is that I am forced to move my project out onto the driveway for a month. My garage concrete pad is being replaced.

So, I need to prepare my truck for survival outside.

Does anyone know a good way to proceed in this situation?

Thanks!

Zeke

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I think you've got to get some etching primer on the bare metal, and then something ontop of that- primer or sandable sealer. I think sandable sealer would be best because primer doesn't keep out water too well.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
I totaly agree with NM51 but use an epoxy primer it is alot harder and will resist water alot better.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 261
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 261
Epoxy primer is the only primer that will withstand the weather as it is a sealer too and won't allow the water throught.


34 & 35 trucks are the greatest
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
Hey Guys!

I'll head over to the local autobody supply store and see what they can do for me.

Thanks!!

Zeke

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Maybe you can find a 'self-etching expoxy primer' instead of using etching primer first and then expoxy primer.

Good luck!


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 261
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 261
To use the epoxy primer after sandblasting you only have to use a good grease and wax remover; then paint.


34 & 35 trucks are the greatest
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
Yeah, that's exactly what I learned yesterday at the autobody supply store.

I got the epoxy primer, the wax and grease cleaner and the thinner for clean up.

Thanks guys!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0