| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 | 52 Chevy 3600. No horn just the cap. So I want to get back to a working horn. Researched and reviewed all the posts and figure I need the spring contact bushing, the inner horn contact plate and probably the upper steering column bearing to insure the ground wire is attached. Living here in Florida near NPD, I was able to view their bearing for a 47-59 model. Just as I expected it to look except it is 1-3/4" OD. My ID of the steering column is 1-3/8" so it ain't gonna fit! Didn't even check the shaft hole diameter but the shaft OD is 3/4" and just for reference the OD of the steering column is 1-3/4". Any one with experience with this issue or know what the correct upper bearing part number would be?
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | I'm a tad confused. You have a 1952 Chevy. You handled a bearing that is correct for a 47-59 Chevy yet does not fit your column. Confused as how we can give you anything but the number for the bearing you've already seen. I guess the first question is...what vehicle and year did your column come from?
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 | I guess that's my dilemma. Nothing I have found indicates if the column has been changed. The engine was changed out to a 235. all by PO with no records. Obviously if there is only one style bearing for the 47-59, then the column must have been changed. I just cant imagine why. I guess I need someone to verify the Outside Diameter of their column. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | I guess that's my dilemma. Nothing I have found indicates if the column has been changed. The engine was changed out to a 235. all by PO with no records. Obviously if there is only one style bearing for the 47-59, then the column must have been changed. I just cant imagine why. I guess I need someone to verify the Outside Diameter of their column. Perhaps if you could supply some decent images someone may be able to tell what steering box you have. Finding parts for "mix-n-match" vehicles can sometimes be a challenge. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2017 Posts: 23 | I was able to find a casting number on the gearbox 270280. It is listed in the Chevy parts manual as a gear assy. for a 1-1/2 ton. It has a p/n of 270927. Searching on the net, buyautoparts.com lists a 270280 as a gear box for a 3/4 ton. I will call them on Monday to see what more they can tell me. This does look like my gearbox and column. http://shop.buyautoparts.com/search?view=grid&w=270280 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | |
| |
| |