The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (37 GC), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 57
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 57
My '61 C20 is a daily driver. Blew (and I mean blew, one ball was cracked in half) a front wheel outer bearing when I ventured out an hour from home. Must have hit 40 plus websites looking for a National B47. Parent company (Federal Mogul) literally waiting for a ship to dock from Asia. The inner race bore is a really odd size (.9065") for any kind of interchange or even a swap to a roller bearing. Has anybody been through this, and what was your solution?
Ray
Virginia Beach
61 C20 (8 lug wheels)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Anybody with a lathe and about three brain cells to rub together should be able to adapt a bearing with a slightly larger inside diameter to the spindle. Just machine a sleeve with a flange on it for the spindle nut to tighten against that will center the bearing on the spindle. A first-year machinist's apprentice would be able to turn out something as simple as that in a matter of minutes.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
GM didn't reinvent the wheel when they built that truck. It's possible it uses the same hub/drum as a later model. I believe they went to Timken type bearings in 63. Have your parts store look up the later application. You also might even be able to find a used hub with bearings for a 63-66 at a wrecking yard.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1
P
Moderated
Moderated
P Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1
Hello, I am curious how you you solved your bearing problem as I have the same issue with mr 1962 C40 using the same B47 bearing.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 57
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 57
OMG. First I tried the route(s) Fred suggested. Where I live we don't have much ancient iron, but I called around anyway. No go. Also my local Napa insisted it didn't match anything else so I was kind of stumped. What worked was googling the original GM part number and seeing what popped up. An antique Buick parts dealer had one on the shelf for $70 or so. I snatched it and had in by the end of that week. National Bearings had some inbound on a ship from China at the time, but declined to sell me one right off the boat--and said it would be months before O'Reilly and the other parts stores had it. I think the one that failed was a Chinese copy because the ball holder thingy was some sort of plastic. The OEM is definitely metal.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0