The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
I've been reading about installing a headliner (seems pretty difficult) and there is always mention of slipping the headliner under the front glass gasket. If I'm planning on replacing the glass this summer, should I do that before putting in the headliner? Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

*for a 1950 coe 2 ton

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I haven't yet fitted a headliner to mine (a '50 3100) but was always under the impression it was secured/held at the front by the inner garnish mouldings,I wasn't aware the rubber actually overlapped it?
If it does,that's news to me.
I always thought the biggest issue was the door windlace rubbers which I believe DO overlap.

Someone will chime in soon with a definitive answer,hang tight!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Second Jockbolter50
The windshield rubber has no effect on the headliner.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
I have a 54 3100 and just installed a new headliner. On the 54 new flexible windshield and cab windlace rubber is extremly important in installing headliner. My windshield and cab windlace in brand new. Was able to install the headliner under both but it was a pain. The windlace rubber flexibilty is way more important and i would think it easier to install headline first. Not mentioned anywhere is the trick i found by accident. Use the metal center headliner bow as a guide to trim the cardboard edges to correct side to side length. Yes, you do need to trim it and its a hairy scary one try deal. Even more important is to wait till AFTER the headliner is completely installed to cut the holes for the Passenger side visor. Go slow. Use the supplied pattern to find the approximate hole locations with a small sharp awl and the visor bracket to get correct locations.. Another one shot deal with disaster a half mm away at all times. Lastly the rear headliner section usually needs to be trimmed to fit as well. Ignore what the experts say. Take the excess off the front edge and not the rear with the screw cutouts. IMHO the repop liners are all poorly made and shipped. My first one broke in half after a week of gentile flexing. Being tightly rolled saves shipping but renders the product very difficult to work with.


Bio acclimate or die
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
I just installed a new windshield and new headliner in my 53 and these cardboard headliners are a real pain. The worst part I had was the trim above the doors and getting the cardboard fit behind it. The cardboard will crack easily and I ruined mine in one place pretty bad. That and the new cardboard is not prepunched for the sunvisors. And the metal strip that runs across the cab over the seat ended up slightly kinked and the paint chipped.


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0