The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
Hi, looking for some advice. My 57-3100 has the typical 3 on the tree 235 with a 411 gear. I would like to be able to drive it on the highway without the engine being pushed to its max. From what I've read the most I can get is around 60-62 mph which will not meet my needs. I'm no mechanic but it seems I have a few options without changing out everything. (Engine, tranny , rearend) One would be to put in a 4 speed transmission so I would have more speeds to grind through or the other would be to change out the rearend to a smaller ratio, ( that number I haven't figured out). Does anyone have any experience with this. My goal would be that I could use the truck as a true daily driver. Thanks Kevin


Thanks, keep truckin!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
3rd gear in your 3-speed is straight through, same as 4th in a 4-speed (most of them) so, if you are going to change the tranny, you need to go with one that has an overdrive.

Yes, you can change out the rear end (or just ring and pinion if you can find one to fit). Depending on how much faster you want to go, 3.73 may get you there.

Taller tires may also fit and get you a bit more speed (how much more speed depends on how tall).

You can also look at a Ranger overdrive unit. They go in front of your transmission, between the bellhousing and tranny, that is probably a lot more than swapping out the rear end though.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
i put a 3.38 R&P in my 56 3100 and it works great. of course I don't really haul anything in it except a couple of bags of mulch now and then so I don't miss the low gearing to launch from a standing start. the RPMs will be about 18% lower for the same road speed than the gears you have now.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"My 57-3100 has the typical 3 on the tree 235 with a 411 gear."

Your standard rear end was 3.90.

As tomctomc posed, a 3.38 Ring&Pinion swap is possible.

That might make your 3-speed transmission's first gear a little high, but it would nicely lower RPMs at higher speeds.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
"With great speed comes great responsibility". Make sure your brakes are 100%, then go for more speed. A 3.38 rear gear swap would give you everything you are looking for.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
Kevin, with these assumptions; 28" tall tires, 2,600 rpm and 4.11 gears you'd be running 53 mph in high gear.

With everything the same except..... with a T5 transmission with a .72 overdrive (5th gear) transmission you'd be going 73 mph.

Lots of info on the swap, search is your friend.

Good Luck, Ron


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
I put 3.38 ring and pinion gears in my '59 and then changed out the three speed with a granny 4 speed. I love it now. Second gear in the four speed is a little lower than first in the three speed so it takes off easier and reverse is the same as granny which is great. Reverse on a three speed is always so fast that you always end up just slipping the clutch when backing up unless you need to go backwards really fast. I can cruise easily at 65 mph now too.


Gene
1959 Apache
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I didn't realize that the 2nd gear in a 4 speed was lower (higher ratio) than 1st gear in a 3 speed. That is what makes what you have very usable. Good find!
I had a 3.08 with a 3 speed and it was a total slug in first gear.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I didn't realize that the 2nd gear in a 4 speed was lower (higher ratio) than 1st gear in a 3 speed. That is what makes what you have very usable. Good find!
I had a 3.08 with a 3 speed and it was a total slug in first gear.
Carl

I think he meant that 2nd in the 4 spd is now lower
because the rear end gears were also changed. Jeffrey

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
No, second gear in the granny four speed is a little bit lower gear than first in the original three speed. It doesn't matter what the rear end ratio is. Every three speed transmission that I ever had, had a first gear that was too high in my opinion. I don't know what the ratios are but I think that third gear in the granny four speed is a little higher than second in a three speed. High gear is 1:1 in either transmission.

Last edited by GeneWiseman; 05/05/2017 2:48 PM.

Gene
1959 Apache
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
According to the 1955 Chevy Truck Shop Manual:
SM420 4 speed: 1st 7.06:1, 2nd 3.58:1, 3rd 1.71:1, 4th 1:1
SM318 3 speed: 1st 2.94:1, 2nd 1.61:1, 3rd 1:1
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
I stand corrected. Third gear in the four speed is a little lower than second gear in the three speed. I guess the bigger gap between the two gears threw me off or as my wife likes to remind me, I was just wrong.


Gene
1959 Apache
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Gene, while I am sure your wife would be beside herself with joy when she hears you admit that you were wrong, the insignificance of the 2nd and 3rd comparison does not take away from the significance of the 1st and 2nd comparison.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
You can always go with a Borg Warner electric overdrive behind a 3 speed. I cruise 60 mph +/- at 2000 rpm with mine. Should be a straight swap with what you have now, no drive shaft changes either.


'59 Apache
‘21 Beta 390RS
‘18 BMW R1200RT
'12 Ford Flex
'13 Aprilia Tuono
‘11 Ducati Hypermotard
Salisbury, MD
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I agree with Moonlight and it was mentioned in a previous post.
The factory 3sp OD trans is a proven way for better highway performance. I have rebuilt and installed many of them.
As stated there are a number of ways to attain better highway speeds while getting better mileage and causing less stress on the engine. Do a cost comparison of all options and then come up with the best one to suit your needs.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by GeneWiseman
No, second gear in the granny four speed is a little bit lower gear than first in the original three speed. It doesn't matter what the rear end ratio is. Every three speed transmission that I ever had, had a first gear that was too high in my opinion. I don't know what the ratios are but I think that third gear in the granny four speed is a little higher than second in a three speed. High gear is 1:1 in either transmission.
First in the 3-speed is 2.94.
Second in the 4-speed is 3.58.
It's a big difference and the main reason I switched from the 3spd to 4spd in my 216 powered truck with 3.55 rear end. It was a dog starting out, made worse by the 30-inch diameter 215-85-16 tires I had on it. Switched tires to something in the 28-inch range (like original 6.00x16 had) also made it better.

Can even tell a difference in the intermediate gear, which is 1.68 in the 3-spd and 1.71 in the 4-spd.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I agree that a 6 cylinder powered vehicle as owned by Skooter and others need a lower gear to start out. Changing the rear end ratio to get more top end can create a situation as described.
This does not necessarily apply to V-8 powered trucks.
My 56 has the stock 3:90 rear end, a garden variety 350 engine, and a 3 speed overdrive transmission. I rarely use 1st gear starting out except on a hill, in fact it has a faster take off using second.
I only have to shift once to get 3 speeds with a good top end.
Another advantage to the 3sp OD is by using 2nd OD on hills or with a load. It is a mid range speed that really pulls well.
There is no one size fits all when it comes to the best
drive-ability.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Yep, especially the AD trucks were not well tolerant of single changes such as swapping the 4.11 for 3.55. You lose engine braking you always took for granted down the backside of hills. That was the big thing I didn't like. Never did wanna go the disc brake route, but it's the kinda thing that has to be considered when altering the magic 216/4.11 combination.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
T-5


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I have 1954 235 w/dual carbs and exhaust, and a 1979 T5 and Nova 2.73 gears rear end. Can up to 80 with ease but just got back from HQ and I had to go through the mountains and the gears are too low numerically shifted a lot. I averaged 22 mpg for 1700 miles. I live in flat land Indiana and my trips to KC every year it works fine.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Hey Ron, what size tires are you running?
2.73 gears are definitely highway gears.
Shorter tires would help.
Regardless of all that, the T-5 is a beautiful thing to have so at least you have the option of more gears to choose from to drop into in the hills.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Rear tires are 235/70/15 radials. Most long hills I just shifted into 4th. IN the Shenandoah National Forest there was a lot of shifting. Short steep hills and curves. I got the nova rear end almost for nothing. My brother-in-law's uncle had the rear end and his father had the transmission.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0