The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shade Baby, GMCJammer51, 2-Ton, 3800GUY, IHPWR, Jon G, Hush), 208 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,185
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1216797 05/11/2017 3:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
I've had my '53 3100 for over two years & have never had this problem. I filled the tank a couple of days ago. Tonight I noticed gas leaking from the fuel cap. I removed the cap and the tank "burped" and the fuel receded. I left the cap off, checked it later and the fuel level was back at the level of the cap. I started it up & the fuel level dropped again. What's going on?


~Denny
1953 Chevy 3100
w/1960 261 cid, 848 head | Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel carb. | Three on the tree & 3:55 torque tube | 12 V w/Gener-Nator & 6 V starter
In the Gallery Forum
1998 Chevy Suburban 350 ci awd/4wd


Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
I've had mine expand and overflow if it was filled all the way to the top and it was a really warm day. Most of the time I don't put that much in it so it's not a problem. I'd suggest not filling it quite so full next time.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
It sounds like expansion due to warm temps and over filling. I suggest next fillup, when the nozzle shuts off the first time, don't add more. Or fill until the guage reads full or just under and stop.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I've done the same. If you're going to fill it up to the tip top you need to drive 5-15 miles before parking for the day. Also or try to park with the filler on high side if possible.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
An additional thought. If your tank "burped" when you removed the cap, the cap vent may be plugged.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Depending on the cap.
Most new caps allow air to enter but build a little pressure if the fuel expands, they're not freely vented like the old/original caps were.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Grigg makes a good point.
Many of the off the shelf "vented" caps comply with the EPA standards to reduce gasoline vapor. They have a one way valve that lets air in as the gas level goes down but don't let anything out. I've seen huge pressure buildups in some tanks.
I remove the spring from the valve if I can't find an old style cap.
And yes, don't fill the tank above the bottom of the filler neck unless you are going to burn off a couple gallons before stopping.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I listen to the filler neck when I'm filling. As soon as I hear a unique gurgling sound that I've gotten use to which to me is when the tank get's close to full, but before the gas starts hiking up the filler neck. That's when I stop.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Interesting. I wasn't aware that the new caps had a one way vent. I guess today wasn't a total waste. grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think it's the gas cap as the weather here in Ohio was in the 50's all day so it probably wasn't due to heat expansion. It burped again when I opened the cap so I'll look into that issue.


~Denny
1953 Chevy 3100
w/1960 261 cid, 848 head | Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel carb. | Three on the tree & 3:55 torque tube | 12 V w/Gener-Nator & 6 V starter
In the Gallery Forum
1998 Chevy Suburban 350 ci awd/4wd


Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
That sounds like an annoying issue. I never fill my truck more than about 3/4 of a tank because of similar issues. Luckily for me she is a toy and not a daily driver. That being said, if I am going to go cruising I can fill her up all the way because I know that she will burn off the top part of the tank anyhow.

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
The new cap I recently purchased had a one-way plastic valve in it, and I drilled a 1/4" hole through the plastic. No more rediculous tank pressure.
This excess pressure can't be good on the float needle/seat in the carburetor.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0