The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,464
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
49 GMC 1/2 ton is in the garage. So cool I can't wait to get into the build. Lots of questions to come. First one
I want to keep the straight axle and add P/S. I've read a number of posts that were very negative on the R/P set up, but the posts were from years ago. Was wondering if there are any updates ... pro and con. Who has done it and the outcomes. I see kits for with and without R/P.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
The rack must be mounted to the front axle to prevent bump steer which means a slip joint is required in the steering shaft--not desirable. There is a unit called "Uni-Steer" that just uses one rod out of the frame mounted rack in a cross steer fashion like 48 and older Fords had. Cuts down on bump deflection but still not perfect. Many have used the early to mid 80's Toyota pickup p/s boxes mounted in place of the factory box with good results but the popularity has pushed the price up. Before you go exotic I'd get everything brought up to like new specs and drive as is (probably runs about a grand). If you like the old time way it rides, handles, drives, the air noise, and the sounds and smells of an old truck then your good to correct what short comings you feel it needs rather than spend a bundle and then decide it's not for you.


Evan
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
Electric power steering while retaining the original steering box is the way to go with a straight axle.

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
Thanks for the quick replys. Think I'm going to like this forum.
I bought the truck in pieces so it's not drivable now and likely won't be until next spring /summer. It's from New Mexico and was tore down in 1998 then put in storage. The only parts assembled are the frame, EVERYTHING else was loose or in boxes. They were going to go SB Chevy and had crossmembers for engine and tranny made. The sheet metal was sanded down to bare metal. No drive train came with. Pretty much starting from scratch. Was planning on mounting on a S-10 frame but changed my mind and will use the existing frame. (By the way I now have a 87 S-10, 4-wheel dive, regular cab, long box for sale with a new long block 2.8)

I'll post pics soon.

Tom

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
I have been told R/P and leaf springs are a death trap. I just ordered an EPAS electric P/S from jegs for $1500. Watch the video on the jegs site and see what you think. My thoughts are it's a 53 it should have leaf springs. Properly set up they work quite well.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0