The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Southerntruck, Ponchogl, cmayna, 1955 1 Series), 186 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,287
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
Hey all... I've scoured the internet and the search function on this forum for two days now and I'm at my wits end because I can't find a single mention of this.

My truck has sentimental value so I'm trying to keep everything original. It has coil springs, not zig zag.

In between every coil spring is two little 3" crisscrossed springs that hold the coil springs together. Every single one was rotted. In total there is about 160 of them.

I can find no mention of them, what they are called or anyone that sells them. I would love to replace them or find a viable alternative.

Anyone here know some options that don't require me scraping it for foam or zig zag springs? Thanks in advance!


1957' Chevy Pickup
My welcome thread: Introduction and Story
My Album: 57' Chevy 3100 W/235
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,364
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,364
Zip ties.


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
Haha, I feel like that would not be all that comfortable on the derriere!

From what I can read, it's just an automotive way of how chair upholsters use spring twine to thread between the springs.

So although I wish I could keep it original, I think finding 160 of those is going to be too challenging. Still seems odd that they're so hard to find any information on.


1957' Chevy Pickup
My welcome thread: Introduction and Story
My Album: 57' Chevy 3100 W/235
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
PM sent


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
What kind of spring is it? Extension spring like a carb return spring? 160 of anything is a lot of money, throw it away and get another seat. Nostalgia does not require the actual seat, just the correct seat from 55-59. Especially if you use the rest of the seat, the back, the frame, the sliders and feet. Find a good donor seat and reupholster it. Cablesmill is your man for that. Good guy.

Saw your pics, nice work you are doing.

You don't have the original tires either. smile


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
My next seat rebuild will be with solid foam. It can be done to look original, but give you a sweet seat to sit on.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
here is a pic of a seat that shows the "criss-crossed" springs Vanatti is looking for.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p494/69B-Cuda/1958%20Viking%2060/Seat/seat%20before_03.jpg

Sorry, no info on where to get new ones, me personally, I would not bother with springs, but instead go with foam. I think you get a nicer seat and can make it look pretty much as stock as you want.

That link should allow you to see the pics of my seat rebuild. In my findings, you are way more money into it trying to buy new springs.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0