Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,283 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2012 Posts: 89 | Hey all... I've scoured the internet and the search function on this forum for two days now and I'm at my wits end because I can't find a single mention of this.
My truck has sentimental value so I'm trying to keep everything original. It has coil springs, not zig zag.
In between every coil spring is two little 3" crisscrossed springs that hold the coil springs together. Every single one was rotted. In total there is about 160 of them.
I can find no mention of them, what they are called or anyone that sells them. I would love to replace them or find a viable alternative.
Anyone here know some options that don't require me scraping it for foam or zig zag springs? Thanks in advance! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 1,363 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 1,363 |
RonR
1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear 1970 340 Duster 1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain) 1964 CJ5
| | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2012 Posts: 89 | Haha, I feel like that would not be all that comfortable on the derriere!
From what I can read, it's just an automotive way of how chair upholsters use spring twine to thread between the springs.
So although I wish I could keep it original, I think finding 160 of those is going to be too challenging. Still seems odd that they're so hard to find any information on. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 336 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 336 |
1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | What kind of spring is it? Extension spring like a carb return spring? 160 of anything is a lot of money, throw it away and get another seat. Nostalgia does not require the actual seat, just the correct seat from 55-59. Especially if you use the rest of the seat, the back, the frame, the sliders and feet. Find a good donor seat and reupholster it. Cablesmill is your man for that. Good guy. Saw your pics, nice work you are doing. You don't have the original tires either. 
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | My next seat rebuild will be with solid foam. It can be done to look original, but give you a sweet seat to sit on.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | here is a pic of a seat that shows the "criss-crossed" springs Vanatti is looking for. http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p494/69B-Cuda/1958%20Viking%2060/Seat/seat%20before_03.jpgSorry, no info on where to get new ones, me personally, I would not bother with springs, but instead go with foam. I think you get a nicer seat and can make it look pretty much as stock as you want. That link should allow you to see the pics of my seat rebuild. In my findings, you are way more money into it trying to buy new springs. | | |
| |