Neither one. Just give the gears a quick squirt of 90 weight and spin them a little before putting the top on and installing the trans, then fill it to the level of the bottom of the plug partway up the side of the case. There are no clutches or other parts that require an assembly lube. If you're not using caged needle bearings for the cluster gear, use heavy chassis grease to hold the needles in place so they don't collapse when you slide the pivot shaft into place. It will dissolve into the gear lube within the first few minutes of operation. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Most anything somewhat stiff and sticky will work. Stay away from disc brake rated wheel bearing grease- - - -it tends to clump up instead of dissolving when it's mixed with gear lube. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I remember a camping trip when I was young and had transmission problems. We went through the transmission by the side of the road using butter to hold the needle bearings in place.
Did the trans go "MOOOOO!" when it shifted after that? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Think vasoline was the grease of choice because it's clear .......so it is easy to see if the needles are in place and they are all present and accounted for.
I used to use a piece of 1/2" EMT, cut just a hair short of the case length to keep needles happy, then push it out with the shaft when in the trans., stopped fallout, etc.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Garden hose or a piece of wooden dowel rod works for that little chore, also. Cut it just long enough to retain the thrust washers on both ends and still clear the bosses in the case. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Hey there Suburban Lou your carryall looked familiar, and noticed Quartz Hill and believe it or not I have lived here in Quartz Hill for 63 years. Hopefully now I don't catch heck for stepping out of bounds. I have said this in the past if Hotrod Lincoln comments on any thread that is the asked, this would be your best bet in my book. Myself I rebuilt my 3 speed and used the 90 wt. gear lube that I filled it up with.
Hey there Suburban Lou your carryall looked familiar, and noticed Quartz Hill and believe it or not I have lived here in Quartz Hill for 63 years. Hopefully now I don't catch heck for stepping out of bounds. I have said this in the past if Hotrod Lincoln comments on any thread that is asked, this would be your best bet in my book. Myself I rebuilt my 3 speed and used the 90 wt. gear lube that I filled it up with.
Have you looked at maps of the San Andreas Fault to see how far your place in Quartz Hill is from the mapped fault lines? I hope you have stuff in your garage bolted down securely.
During the 1971 San Fernando earthquake the fire trucks in the Kagel Canyon fire station got tossed around so violently that they looked like they had been in a multi vehicle wreck on the freeway. And that was a small earthquake compared to what's expected on the San Andreas from historical records from 1857 and 1906
With a little bit of luck, maybe my friends in Mariposa will have beachfront property after that one happens! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Would anybody really miss what's on the west side of the fault if it fell off into the Pacific? The water pollution would be epic, though! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Well believe it or not, we are right next to the San Andreus fault and I do remember the 1971 Quake I was a junior at Quartz Hill High school. By the way I thought Hotrod Lincoln you lived in Merced? You Bolters probably don't know but Hot rods buddy catapulted a frozen whale up over the Grapevine at over a 100mps. I believe? Anyway so much for good ol Quartz Hill, have had a lot of fun here. About ready to retire with 45 years with Lockheed Martin.
Yep, Tyrone Malone was quite a character- - - -he loved those hot rod big rigs! I took a wild ride down the northbound side of the grapevine at over 120 MPH one night after a brake failure. My rig only weighed a bit over 78,000 pounds! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I took a wild ride down the northbound side of the grapevine at over 120 MPH one night after a brake failure. My rig only weighed a bit over 78,000 pounds! Jerry
That was probably the safest way down without brakes. During a 3 year period when I was making a weekly trip on that road I saw 2 occasions where a driver used the runaway truck turnout and was killed when they hit the giant boulder at the end of the gravel strip. Those were just the aftermaths I personally saw. I have no idea how often it actually happened.
Gravel strip?????? No such thing on that hill when I was driving it in the late 1970's! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Interesting side note about the Grapevine, which I have been traveling since the forties; someone put an Allison V-12 in a stock semi truck, probably in the '50's, did well on the Grapevine.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Gravel strip?????? No such thing on that hill when I was driving it in the late 1970's! Jerry
Not sure when those went in Jerry. There is more than one now but I only remember the one in the attachment when I was making trips in the late 80's. You can see the big bolder I mentioned at the end of the gravel. The trucks that went that far must have been going very fast.