The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, classicfins, Charles in CA, CandoBrent), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,664
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1211494 04/04/2017 12:06 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
I did a search for this but only found discussion about finding a cushion replacement. Is there a source for the whole carrier bearing housing complete as a unit? I have a 1949 GMC 1 ton.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
If the GMC is the same as a 49 Chevy the answer is most likely no. The GM Parts book indicates that the prop shaft support bearing is the same for a 46 - 57 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I was able to find all of the parts necessary to rebuild the one on my 54'Chevy 3/4 ton. If you find out they are the same and have difficulty finding the parts, pm me and I'll try to help. They may be other options but I do not know what they are.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Also, the correct cushion looks to be available from www.americanclassic.com , ME-887 . They also have a comnplete unit supposedly for that year , CBD-11. I have no idea if it will work but I suppose you could call them and ask. It looks like you might have to make a spacer to get the right centerline distance from the hanger.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
I'll check that out and thanks for the help. My truck rolled out of the garage under its own power for the first time yesterday. I'm so close to being on the road!

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
I bought a generic modern style bearing assembly from Rock Auto and used a 1.5" box tube spacer between it and the frame.
Works like a charm.


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Hey Chad, that's good information. Rebuilding that carrier bearing was expensive and difficult......I think the younger folks would call it a PITA.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
I've been told that a drive-line shop in Springfield Mo has the cushion and the correct timpken bearing and will press it into the housing as well. I plan to make the trip up with my driveshaft and the old bearing and will let everyone know the part numbers/costs once completed.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Hey, that's good information. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 20
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 20
I have Drive_Line Vibration - so also looking at Center Carrier ..
Wondering about How it's Mounted - AS - one onMy Truck is Misaligned some ..


Your life is made up of Two Dates and a Dash........make the most of the Dash.
http://www.fossilcars.com/chevrolet/1-ton-pickup/869217

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0