The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
I have a 1958 235 six cylinder, rebuilt, and want to know what diameter, thread count per inch, and length of bolt that is used to secure the oil bath air filter to the carburetor. Probably also has a nut to go with the bolt.

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
The screw on the oil bath I have is approx 1 1/2" long, 1/4" diameter fine threads. The nut is 4 sided.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Cablesmill,

Thanks. I ended up taking mine with me to the hardware store, sized the wing nut, bought a die the size I needed, came home, chased the threads and back to normal. Now, I am going back and forth regarding whether to stay with the oil bath and stuff the top filter part with steel wool or modify the top and go with a paper filter, but retaining the traditional look.

Any thoughts on what you might do?

John

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
I'd stay with the oil bath myself.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Cablesmill
I'd stay with the oil bath myself.
ditto

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
Why do you need to stuff it with steel wool?


1951 3100
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
JW51,

Good question. Well, you see there is NO filter media whatsoever inside this air cleaner. It has been completely void of any filter media since I have owned it and that has been a very long time. Although nearly complete on the rebuild, this engine has never been fired. I have seen posts where others have substituted the factory 'horse hair' filter material with steel wool while others have converted to a paper filter element.

What would you do, stuff the top of the filter assembly with steel wool or just leave it empty and use no filtration at all. Just asking.

John

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
Gotcha. I will let someone else weigh in on what's best. Without my filter sitting in front of me, it's tough for me to picture how the steel wool would replace the original media.

The conversion to paper that someone recently documented (maybe a tech tip now?) was pretty neat, but will require some more cutting.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Not sure about the '58 but on older models there was a shredded metal material in the cheaper base air cleaners. You were supposed to clean the thing and just coat it with oil to catch the junk, bugs etc. I've seen guys use the copper or metal pot scrubbers when restoring the old air cleaners.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
A few different types of air cleaners are discussed above. I do not know how long each type was used.

The oil-bath air-cleaner was supposed to have 50W oil filled to the mark on the outer shell. The "mesh" is these air cleaners do not appear to be metal - maybe someone knows for sure. If the "mesh" is gone, you might want to do the modern filter-cartridge upgrade described above. If done properly, you cannot see the new filter (Tom Langdon used to sell these for his Carter-Weber carbs - very nice).

The "shredded material" in the oil bath air cleaner was a heavier mesh material than used in the standard equipment small 47-55 small truck "spark arrestor" oil-wetted" metal-mesh air cleaner. Replacement copper-appearance metal mesh units are available from Jim Carter. I think that this is the air cleaner referred-to by JiMerit. This mesh is most likely not appropriate for an oil bath air cleaner.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Lots of really good information about the oil bath air filters and the mesh that goes inside the upper part of the filter. I have still not decided on the way I am going to go. In that vein, I would like to know if anyone has used steel wool to replace the old-style filter media and how satisfied you are with that material.

Thanks for your input.

John

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Is there not a k&n style paper filter element that would fit into the stock filter canister? If so, wouldn't be more efficient way to go?



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Craig,

You have a very nice looking truck. To answer your question, yes, there is a paper filter available, but to use the paper filter requires cutting/modifying the 'original' oil-bath filter housing. I know it can and has been done. There is even a Tech Tip on how to do it.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0