| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (GRNHydra),
161
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 | After a day of Google and SB searches with no luck I'm stumped.I'm working with a 1953 SM420 Case #591665 open drive trans. It's a NOS but doesn't have the speedo assembly. I will assume the dealer would have made the call as to which gear combo would be best. I have also scoured the oldcarmanualproject.com and found SM420 stuff but nothing with much reference to this.
I did find this for sale NOS but buying and trying is not my style. Any opinions are welcome.
Speedometer Drive Gear Unit Group No. 705 Part No. 608444 Stock No. G-85-35-96019 CHEVROLET Composed of (1) 3660175 Drive gear / (1) 3660270 Gear fitting assembly
1951/54 Basketcase | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Speedo gear count is subject to diff gear ratio, and tire size. You can use any gear count and correct any amount it is off with a speedo correction adapter. This connects to the outside of the transmission, and the cable then connects to it.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 | Thanks Dave Yes I wasn't so much concerned with gear count just correct it with the adapter. I was concerned with ID of drive gear being different for different models Closed / Open drive trans - Yoke shaft size. Some of the 3 speed stuff looks identical. This one looks good. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMfqzWcGDeeFao4W2HL6-VeprmJg9aC6RE7tfFkIf the link works
1951/54 Basketcase | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Link does not work for me. ID of drive gears are the same on "most" gears. I have one yoke with a odd diameter where the gear fits, but as I say, most closed and open are the same.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 |
1951/54 Basketcase | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | That link shows what looks like a SM420 gear set. It has the right pitch on the driven gear. I have many GM parts books, but I can't find that part number. I think I will PM you with more info.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 64 | Just an update on the search. Bought some more wall art off Ebay. The gear set sure is nice looking NOS but just as I expected not all SM420 yokes are created equal. The drive gear is about an 1/8" smaller than mine. But the driven gear is the right length. https://goo.gl/photos/dhAsKarrVdY23Srn8https://goo.gl/photos/JgAYpcuoybXV9fys8Back on the hunt. If I could just find a 14 tooth driven gear I could use the drive gear I have. Ken
1951/54 Basketcase | | |
| |
| |