The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,462
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Does anyone know if anyone sells new passenger door handle that has lock and key for a 41 chevy truck?

If I have to go to the 42 lock is the 41 passenger latch mechanism different than the 42-46?


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
If no one comes up with the answer for sure I can look, I have both. I tried with no luck to find a new handle for my 41, the way it stands I can not lock the truck. I do know that the door is different on my 46. It will take more than just punching a hole in the door to convert the 41. If it would help you I could take a picture of the outside of my 46 door and you can see the difference. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
The latch mechanism is different on the 42-46 models. 1941 locking door handles show up once in a while on ebay.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
I was able to buy a N.O.S locking door handle for my '40...which may be same as '41 (the later ones have separate lock in the door.) This was a few years ago but try Cal McCollum in California. He has a lot of old dealer inventory and knows his stuff. 760-723-5134 or FAX 760-723-0907. He was expensive, but I am happy, as I can lock up and go anywhere! And, as mentioned, keep an eye on Ebay. Good luck!


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I haven't found one, I had my original but it rusted away. I just put regular handles and don't lock mine. Unless you want exact original or live in a bad area I would just put a regular door handle.

... then again I do hope you can get lucky and find one on eBay or something


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Since the truck is titled a 46 and I just put a halfskin on the left door - have not blocked it yet -- I will upgrade. I picked up a 42-46 left door latch on ebay. Then purchased a 42-46 lock and handles. Will make proper hole.

I have a left locking handle with no key and needs replated.


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
The lock goes in the passenger door. If you would like I can send a picture of the door skin on the 46, it is different than the 41. Let me know. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Nice trucks -- Thanks for the offer homer52, I have a 42 that I 1/2 skinned and know the location. Thot I would mount the latch and mark the lock square hole as a pilot. Then use the lock gasket for the outline of the hole.


Last edited by 42465967; 01/31/2017 5:56 PM. Reason: words

1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Found out today that the frame stamping for a 41 is different than a 42-46. Had to modify door frame to accept the 46 latch mechanism. Going the other way should be no problem.


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0