The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, 1955 1 Series, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1200015 01/17/2017 2:01 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
The insulator block broke on my 1957 235 that goes between the carb and intake. It's like a cork-feeling material. Should a regular gasket be used with this? Is there anywhere is preferred to get a replacement? I don't want to waste time and money on a cheap product.

Thanks,

Last edited by Tiny; 01/18/2017 8:59 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"quark-feeling material" (no joke: what does this mean?)

I think it was bakelite type of material?

carburetor insulator (wider opening for later 235s and 261s)

Use an gasket on top of the insulator (a gasket not needed under the insulator if the mating surfaces are flat and smooth - not pitted).

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by tclederman
"quark-feeling material" (no joke: what does this mean?)
...

Cork?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Good guess, EBS - you are probably correct.

I do not think that cork would work well in this application?

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Quark?

Don't think I have heard that term since college physics wink

Somehow, there must be another meaning; I cannot really associate sub-atomic particles with a stovebolt 6.

All joking aside: Vetteman, the originals were sometimes bakelite, sometimes a fiber compound, and aftermarket versions were often make by cheaply laminating (read as fastening together with long staples!) a number of asbestos flange gaskets to the required thickness. Often, enthusiasts machine them out of a block of hardwood, and just as often paint the edges black.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Sorry guys, I meant cork. I also study particle physics as a hobby and quark and cork are pronounced very similarly and I made a mistake when typing since I have recently been reading a lot about "quarks".

What I meant was it felt as though it was a "cork type" material, being that its composition was hard, but soften than metal. As carbking said, "Fiber compound" would have been a better description. I ask because I also saw the product for sale that Tim gave the link to and the description doesn't give the material form which it is made. It appears to be some type of plastic and I don't want to waste money on something that won't work correctly. We all know how many "gasket" type parts are made cheaply and ineffectively, like for example the cheap plastic intake manifold gaskets for 5.7 Chevrolet Vortecs which fail almost before you put them on. I'm aware this isn't a gasket but it does connect two flat surfaces of metal.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Vetteman -

Cork is much too soft, and will not work.

Quark on the other hand......how many would it take, and how do you pick one up? wink

The spacers are probably available or see my first post for suitable materials you can use to make one.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Jim Carter lists them as "Carburetor Insulator Plate"

So does the forum sponsor http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/...&iyear=1940&ytype=to&exyear=

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
All the 47-55/etc vendors sell them (link to Classic Parts in post above, and Chevs of the 40s, Filling Station, etc.)


mod edit :

Links

see a preferred vendor near you, under the Parts section.

Last edited by Woogeroo; 01/18/2017 8:34 PM.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
I guess what you guys are saying is that all the products offered are relatively the same and are good for their purpose.


Last edited by Tiny; 01/18/2017 9:01 PM.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Everyone suffers from typing the wrong word on occasion. It's also common for light hearted teasing to occur when that happens. Let's all get a sense of humor. I was notified about a 'rant'. I don't know if it met that criteria but the question has been answered so the thread is locked. The forum Mods can unlock if they deem it necessary.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0