The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1196873 12/25/2016 11:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Good Day Stove Bolters'

I am currently working on the rear springs of my biggy and I believe they have been modified. Would anybody out there have a good photo of what their stock springs look like (if there are any out there)

Thanks


Kregus
Lakewood, CO

1946 2 Ton (I think)
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Kregus, Welcome to the Stovebolt.

I will try to get some photo's of one of mine tomorrow. Why do you think they have been modified? Could you post up some photo's of yours? There are a lot of springs there, but I can't remember how many. I have a 40 1 1/2 ton GMC, a 41 2-ton, a 46 2-ton chassis and a restored 46 2-ton. The springs are very similar on all of them.



Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
I will get a couple of photos up in the next couple of days.

I have the riveted brackets still mounted to them but the bolt holes that span the leafs look like there are 2 leafs missing, according to everything I have read I have the right quantity of leafs.

Thank you


Kregus
Lakewood, CO

1946 2 Ton (I think)
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
One might want to consider the types of loads that will be carried. Most of our trucks are way over sprung for the use we put them to, giving a much harsher ride than necessary.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Here is a link to some photos of my rear springs.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z3xv0tjcckec9w8/AAAOHuss3joKspy1UZChoUAxa?dl=0

Thank You


Kregus
Lakewood, CO

1946 2 Ton (I think)
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
Kregus,

Looking at your pictures, I believe that your springs have indeed been modified. The thick spacer plate is definitely an addition, and it maybe replacing a thinner "leaf". It also appears that several of the leaves have been re-arched. I'll try to remember to look at my truck tomorrow and grab a couple of pictures, but off the top of my head I think there are 18 leaves in the rear spring packs. I know all of the leaves in my spring pack are the same thickness, and that there are two "groups" of springs (the main set are all together and have the same arch, and the "overload" set also have a similar arch but are separated from the main by a couple of fairly short leaves.

I went through my photos and found the two best shots I currently have of my rear springs and put them in my signature gallery. They don't show quite enough detail to get you what you need but maybe they will help.


1946 Chevy Pictures
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton. In family since new. Splash oiled 235, 4 speed main, 3 speed aux, single speed 6.17 rear. Original GM supplied 12' stake bed, paint on sideboards is still from the factory.
Ride Along Video!
Ride Along with a little load
Video Channel
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Thank You for your help.

Nice looking truck by the way


Kregus
Lakewood, CO

1946 2 Ton (I think)
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
Ok, I took a few photos of the rear springs and added them to my signature gallery. Should be more helpful than the ones that were on there before.


1946 Chevy Pictures
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton. In family since new. Splash oiled 235, 4 speed main, 3 speed aux, single speed 6.17 rear. Original GM supplied 12' stake bed, paint on sideboards is still from the factory.
Ride Along Video!
Ride Along with a little load
Video Channel
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Thank You 2ton46,that confirms what I thought and gives me the path to make it right


Kregus
Lakewood, CO

1946 2 Ton (I think)

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0