The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wally / Montana, Jon G), 142 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
First time poster here. I recently purchased a 61 Apache and have learned that the threads that hold the steering wheel in place are stripped. Others have suggested replacing the shaft versus trying to have it repaired. I'm still searching for a replacement shaft, but I'm not having much luck. Borgeson has some that fit 55-57 cars and I'm wondering if they are interchangeable? I disassembled my upper shaft from the intermediate shaft. Is the "knuckle" on the lower end of the steering shaft that fits in the coupler of the intermediate shaft removable? I'll try and post a pic - thanks.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Have you tried to "chase" or rethread the shaft. It may well be worth the try. The other answer would be to place an ad here in the Parts Wanted Section for a few days. Someone may just have what you need......is yours an automatic or standard shift?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
I finally found a used steering shaft in Texas that is being shipped to me. So I'm good for now.

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
I am working on a '61 apache myself. I haven't gotten too far into it yet. I would like to know where most people go for mechanical parts? I know LMC has most body parts, but I am sure I will need quite a few mechanical pieces also, and I have no idea where to look.


1961 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside 235 CI straight 6 Three on the tree.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Rwnugent,

Your local junk yard should have much that can be retrieved, cleaned up and put to use. Also look here. Just ask. Many of us have boxes of bits and pieces we can't seem to rid ourselves of. Otherwise, ebay and CL will be a resource once you know specifically what you are searching for. The mechanical stuff can be repaired, reconditioned or replaced pretty easily.
Hambone


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0