Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,465 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 47 | OK, planning to do a transmission change and will eliminate the torque-tub system. Plans are to use a spare 70-81 Camaro axle laying around, as long as it is still in decent shape.
For those who have done axle swaps, what leaf spring set-up(s) have you used? Posies, Chassis Engineering, TCI, etc....?
Looks like CE and TCI have kits that relocate the shock mounting position and have wider springs (not sure if that helps with anything or not really).
Posie springs are stock narrow width, but still use the stock shock mounting position.
Thoughts?
1952 Chevy 3100 (235CI engine) ...T5 swap in progress...
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | I used my stock '37 springs for years, this last year I switched them out for new ones special made by Detroit Spring. I went with a softer spring rate for softer ride. If you plan on hauling stuff, stick with stock replacements. Also stick with stock width unless you plan to remake the whole spring setup. Changing the spring hangers for wider springs looks like a whole lot-a work thats not really needed.
Decide how you plan to use the truck before purchasing springs. Check the INFO packet from GM for stock spring rates and be sure to ask the seller of new springs what there rates are. I can tell quit a difference just going from 190 (stock ) to 140 spring rate on the rear. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 47 | The biggest load this thing will be is to carry a cooler and maybe a few lawn chairs in it from here on out. 
1952 Chevy 3100 (235CI engine) ...T5 swap in progress...
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 256 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 256 | 4rcFed: on my 50 1/2 ton I used a 73 Camaro posi rear end w 3.73 gears; found some 90ish S-10 rear springs and used S-10 rear hangers too. Fabbed the front mounts myself; relocated the shock mounts. I'd suggest at this point, as viewed from the side, that now is the time to consider locating the centerline of your axles to your satisfaction in the middle of the rear fender openings. Seems the factory 116" wheelbase had the original axle a few inches too far forward. Good luck. Dave | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 | I have a 50 gmc 1/2 ton , I am putting in an 82 camaro rear w/2.73 ratio and an sm420 trans with a 292 inline 6. I've read posts about swapping the springs from front to back so the axle is more toward the center of the wheel well, so I'm trying this . I am fabbing rear shackle mounts with parts from Barnes4wd.com as mine were worn. it seems to be working well. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | By swapping front to back, I hope you meant reversing the rear springs. Since you are replacing the rear axle, why not just drill a new locating hole in the Camaro spring perches? The springs will work better in the as designed position. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 | 82 camaro has coils.this truck had helper springs , and I'm using the perch from them turned around. yes, i am referring to reversing the springs.I have a set of 7" rally wheels i would like to use, but don't think they will work on the front. anyone have experience with what tire /wheel combo will work? not dropping the stock front end, and plan on using 75 series or taller tires. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | What do you plan to do about the miss match lug nut pattern front to back if you use a Camaro axle?
I used a '79 Camaro axle with a aftermarket front disk brake set. The rotors match the rear axle, fact both are from the 70-81 GM F body line.
My front wheels are 15" diameter x 4" wide with a 205/75R15 radial. I went this way for easier steering. Wide tires and manual steering do not get along! I also run 40 PSI air to help with the steering. Rears are 235/75R15 on a 7" wide wheel. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 17 | thanks for the info. In fact ,that is exactly the way I am going.I have seen 4.5" rally wheels available. | | |
| |