Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
151
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,289 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | I had a scary one happen yesterday. Drove the old '62 to work. when I got ready to leave, I put it in reverse and cranked the wheel to back out of the parking space and heard and felt a major "BANG!", then the steering wheel spun with ease and felt completely disconnected. I got out and looked, sure enough, the Rag Joint had shredded and fallen out. I'm sure glad this happened backing out of a parking space instead of on the freeway at 70+ mph like I was doing the day before. Here are a couple of pictures of the aftermath. Steering BoxRag Joint I guess this is to be expected after 55 years of uninterrupted service. :-) No replacement parts locally, but Brothers Trucks had the rebuild kit for $14.99. New part is on order.
Last edited by 62Stick; 12/13/2016 5:27 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Glad you are OK and nobody hurt. A good reminder to all of us that a routine inspection is time well spent. Steering and brake component inspection go at the top of the list. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | That happened to me a couple of times when I was driving FURD pickups with rusted-out front cab mounts. The weight of the cab puts a strain on the flex joint. Better check the steering shaft for alignment, and look at cab mounts in particular! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | Cab mounts are definitely in need of replacement, at least the bushings. I already knew that. The metal is in good shape though. I did the core support mount bushings already, but not the cab. I did not know that it was that critical. I figured that I had time to keep it low on the list. Now I know better.
I'll add that to my list of many things. :-)
Last edited by 62Stick; 12/13/2016 11:32 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Thanks for that connection Jerry. I had not made that relationship and my cab is one of my worries. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | Consider yourself very fortunate that the failure happened in a parking lot. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | I do consider myself very lucky. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I wanted to bring this subject to the attention of others.
Please check the rag joints on your trucks folks. I was lucky, I don't want anyone else to have to rely on luck! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | I did a very temporary fix involving jacking up the cab and putting wood spacers between the cab and the frame. On the Fords a 2X4 was just about the right thickness to bring the rag joint back into alignment. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | there is usually a lot more strain on it when the truck is not moving or when in a parking space. likeliedt the greatest time of failure. ron | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | I did a very temporary fix involving jacking up the cab and putting wood spacers between the cab and the frame. On the Fords a 2X4 was just about the right thickness to bring the rag joint back into alignment. Jerry did you use the special ford haywire to hold them in place? ron | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | did you use the special ford haywire to hold them in place? Nope- - -just a bunch of drywall screws through the cab floor! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | Well, the new part came in yesterday, but it was raining to hard to work on the truck. This afternoon, I had both the time and clear weather to work on it. Truck is now officially repaired and back on the road!! Steering Coupler Repair. | | |
| |